Incoming Student Tech Guide
As an incoming student, you are likely wondering what you should bring and what you will find on campus technology-wise. This guide, prepared by Denison’s Information Technology Services (ITS), is for you.
- A notebook computer. You can find recommended and minimum specifications for notebooks at Computer Recommendations. There you will also find links to online stores for vendors offering discounts to Denison students including Apple, Dell, and HP. Tip: Denison provides Microsoft Office and antivirus/antispyware software at no charge – no need to buy those!
- A cell phone. Student residence hall rooms do not have telephones so a cell phone is highly recommended. Many students choose smartphones for their cell phones.
- A surge protector. ITS strongly recommends a surge protector to protect your electronic devices from power spikes.
- A tablet. For even greater portability than a notebook offers, you may wish to consider a tablet. Tablets are great for reading – students typically find tablets are a welcome addition to a notebook, not a substitute for one.
- A personal printer. Some students like the instant print availability and color printing capability that a personal printer offers. However, students also find that the cost of ink cartridges can add up. Please note that personal printers cannot be used wirelessly on campus as they conflict with the campus wireless network. If you bring a personal printer, please plan on connecting to it using a printer USB cable. ITS can provide one if needed.
- A personal wireless router. Due to interference concerns with our service, we cannot permit students to connect personal wireless access points or routers.
- Free Microsoft Office and select other software. You can download Microsoft Office, McAfee Antivirus software, and several site-licensed academic software programs via MyDenison at no charge.
- WiFi everywhere. Wireless network service is available throughout campus.
- MyDenison. As a Denison student, MyDenison will be your online home. MyDenison provides access to your email, calendar, grades and class schedules, course registration, dining menus, community announcements, Denison event calendars, software downloads, Denison’s course management system, and more. You can access MyDenison from the Denison Home Page or go to my.denison.edu.
- Email, Calendar, & Online Document Sharing. Denison Apps powered by Google offers a suite of software services including email, calendaring, and personal drive space which allows you to collaborate and share documents with others at the University. You can access Denison Apps using your BigRedID at apps.denison.edu or through MyDenison. You will receive your BigRedID and Denison email address from the First Year Programs office after you enroll.
- Network Storage – U drive. You will receive 10GB of personal file storage space on Denison’s network servers. This space is referred to as your “U: drive”. You can access your U: drive from any Denison campus computer or from your personal computer. Use of the U: drive for file storage is optional.
- Cloud Storage - Google Drive in Denison Apps and OneDrive in Office 365. Within Denison Apps (Google) and Office 365 (Microsoft), you have unlimited cloud storage. Both solutions provide apps that can be downloaded to your notebook and mobile devices to sync files if desired.
- Computers for Student Use. Over 650 university computers are available for student use. These computers are located throughout the academic buildings in technology-equipped learning spaces, department or public computer labs, and Doane Library. The main Fellows Hall public lab is available 24/7 with your Denison ID card. A number of academic labs feature specialized, discipline-specific software or hardware.
- Lab & “Personal Device to Lab” Printing with a Yearly Print Allowance. High capacity, black/white laser printers are available in many locations on campus. You can print to these printers from lab computers or from your own notebook, tablet, or smartphone. A free print quota of 1600 sides/800 pages is allocated to each student per academic year. You can supplement your print quota for a minimal cost per page by adding funds to your Denison Dollars account. This can be done by visiting Students Accounts in Doane Administration or online. Color printing is available at the Mulberry Mix Lab and from Office Services.
- Media Equipment for checkout from the Library. Denison provides a wide variety of media equipment that can be checked out including digital point & shoot, SLR, and video cameras; DSLR lens kits; tripods; digital audio recorders; and microphones.
- Support! The ITS Help Desk is available to help you with Denison technology services, common software, and even your personal notebook. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 740-587-6395.
Personal notebook problems: If you have a problem with your notebook that can’t be addressed at the Help Desk within 10 minutes, for many issues you may choose to check your computer in to the Help Desk Student Annex for free hands-on assistance from student computer technicians. Services available include operating system upgrades, software installation/removal, virus/malware removal, best effort data backups/file recovery, hardware troubleshooting, assistance with getting warranty services from vendors, help with some non-warranty hardware issues, and referrals to outside vendors for more complex non-warranty hardware issues.
If you are shopping for a notebook, make sure to check out the Computer Recommendations section which includes general computer specifications and links to vendors that offer discounts to Denison students. And remember, Denison provides Microsoft Office and McAfee anti-virus software at no charge!
After you submit your enrollment deposit, your BigRedID, initial password, and Denison email address will be sent to you by the First Year Programs office. Your BigRedID and password will give you access to MyDenison and many other online Denison technology resources.
As soon as you receive your BigRedID and initial password, we recommend you visit MyDenison. You’ll be asked to change your password to a new value. Now you are all set to start using Denison resources! You’ll want to…
- Check your Denison email regularly.
- Download any software you need for your computer.
Please contact the ITS Help Desk at 740-587-6395 or email@example.com.