Apply for Scholarships & Aid
Applying for Financial Aid and Scholarships
Denison requires only two forms, the FAFSA form and the CSS Profile, to be completed to apply for financial aid, which includes Denison Scholarships and Grants, as well as suggested student loans. There is no charge for the FAFSA application. The CSS Profile charges a $25 fee for the first school and an additional $16 for each additional school. The FAFSA form must be resubmitted each year that you are enrolled at Denison, the CSS Profile only needs to be completed your first year here.
Student loans also may be necessary to help fund your education. Information about students loans and how to apply for them is here (link to Student Loan section).
- Prior to completing the FASFA form, new students and one of their parents must obtain a federal student aid (FSA) ID number. This can be done at the FSA ID site,
- When completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, use code 003042 to designate Denison University.
- After you file your FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report from the Department of Education that summarizes your FAFSA information. It will give you some basic information about your eligibility for federal student aid as well as listing your answers to the questions on your FAFSA.
- Denison will determine your financial need from both the FAFSA and CSS Profile information. (“Determine” link) and send you a tentative financial aid award notification.
- The award letter will contain information about scholarships, grants, work-study and offered loans. These award letters are sent beginning mid-March through May 1, as FAFSA forms are received. More information about next steps (link).
CSS Profile Information
When completing the College Scholarship Service (CSS) Profile, use code 1164 to designate Denison University. The CSS Profile must be completed before financial aid can be determined.
Students applying in the first early decision round must complete their FAFSA and CSS Profile by November 15. All other applicants must submit their FAFSA and CSS Profile by January 15.
The applicant and one of their parents must obtain a federal student aid (FSA) ID number, to sign their FAFSA application. The FSA ID site, which asks you to supply three items: your email, a username and a password, is simple to use. Please retain this information as you will need to access it each year you are at Denison.
After you enroll and pay your deposit, you will receive a D-number (Denison number) from the First-Year Office. Once you have your D-number you can go to MyDenison [link] and access your award letter once it is finalized.
Applicants who are considered independent for federal aid, based on federally defined criteria, do not have to submit parental information or have a parental signature on the FAFSA.
CSS Profile is required for all students seeking need-based financial aid.
The FAFSA form must be resubmitted each year that you are enrolled at Denison. Returning students should complete a Renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online by April 1 of each academic year.