Newly admitted students receive their estimated financial aid award at the time of admission. Returning students and the parent listed on the FAFSA are notified via email that their award details for the next academic year are available in their My Financial Aid portals through MyDenison beginning in April. Final Award Notifications will be sent to enrolled students via their Denison email AND after all required financial aid documentation is received and processed.
Financial aid recipients must understand and agree to these terms and conditions:
Understanding Your Aid Offer
- Applicants should carefully review their estimated award letter and understand each award offered. Review Types of Aid, for detailed information on each award listed on your Award Notification, including Merit Scholarships, Federal Work-Study, and student loan programs.
- Federal Work-Study is not credited toward your tuition bill. Work-Study jobs are optional and are designed to help defray indirect expenses, such as books.
Aid Eligibility Requirements
- Financial Aid Awards are based on full-time enrollment (12 or more credit hours) and housing status. This is indicated on your award notification. Please notify the Office of Financial Aid if your enrollment or housing plans change. This could result in a revision of your Financial Aid Award.
- Merit scholarships have GPA requirements to meet in order to retain your scholarships each year. Review GPA requirements here.
- Students who receive financial aid must maintain Satisfactory Academic progress (SAP) as defined by the Office of Financial Aid. Access our SAP policy.
- The total amount of aid that is received from all sources must not exceed the cost of attendance (COA) at Denison University. This includes tuition, certain fees, room and board, etc. This includes limiting Parent and private loan amounts to COA.
- Outside scholarships or resources must be reported to the Office of Financial Aid. An adjustment to your financial aid may or may not be necessary. If so, a revised award notification will be sent to you. Outside awards will not credit to a student’s account until funds are received by the university.
- Aid adjustments may be necessary during the academic year. Factors that may change eligibility: change in enrollment, housing, studying off-campus, receipt of additional funds, FAFSA changes by student or by the Office of Financial Aid.
- If you withdraw from Denison during a term, your aid will be adjusted according to Denison’s Refund Policy. Students must officially withdraw by contacting Student Life.
Renewing Your Financial Aid
- All students receiving federal, state and Denison need-based aid (Bookstore Grants, Denison Grants) must submit the FAFSA each year to determine continued eligibility. Since a family’s financial strength is subject to change, financial need and the amount of aid awarded may increase or decrease each year.
- Denison’s priority filing deadline is April 1 each year.
- Students receiving financial aid must maintain the GPA requirement of their merit scholarships and meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
- Other factors that may change aid eligibility from year to year: change in housing status, enrolled less than full-time status, changes to the family income, assets, household size, and number of family members enrolled in college.
- All financial aid is awarded subject to acceptance or readmission to the University.
- Financial aid funds must be used solely for educational expenses related to attendance at Denison University.
- The University reserves the right to revise any portion of the Financial Aid Award if it is determined that the award is based on incorrect or misrepresented information on the FAFSA, through the verification process or if funding of federal/state/institutional programs change or for any other reason the office deems necessary.
- The Office of Financial Aid reserves the right on behalf of the University to revise and cancel an award at any time because of changes in financial or academic status.
- The University reserves the right to correct clerical or computational errors.
- Federal student aid is disbursed 10 days prior to the start of the semester to your university account balance.
All students are required to sign Denison’s Financial Responsibility Agreement during the onboarding process.