Apply for Admission
We Make It Easy!
Our admission policies reflect our commitment to providing equal access to a phenomenal Denison education:
Denison applicants have not been required to submit ACT or SAT scores since 2008. If you choose to be a test-optional admission candidate, simply select that option on your application, and we will focus on all the other things that make you great.
No Fee to Apply for Admission
Proof that the phrase “Nothing good in life is free” is pure fallacy. Put that money toward toward your phone bill or a something much more fun than app fees.
No Supplemental Essay Required
That’s us helping you find time to rewatch a few episodes of The Office for the 100th time—or is that just us?
First-year students interested in Denison must submit an application through the Common Application or the Coalition Application. Don’t fret, there is no difference in how we evaluate application types.
Admission Rounds & Deadlines
For first-year applicants, we have early decision and regular decision.
- Early Decision 1: November 15
- Early Decision 2: January 15
- Regular Decision: January 15
Transfer applicant? Deadlines are a little different. Learn More »
Regardless of when an admission decision is released, all admission decisions become final and official on April 1. Any appeals must be submitted prior to April 1.
What is Early Decision?
Early decision is a great option for students who know Denison is their first choice college. It is binding, meaning that students admitted in an early decision round are committed to enroll at Denison and must withdraw any applications from other institutions.
A higher percentage of students are admitted through our early decision rounds, and ED applicants typically receive their admission decisions within a few weeks after the application deadline, where RD students receive decisions by late-March. Students admitted in regular decision must reply to their offer of admission no later than May 1.
Admission Application 101
In evaluating your application to Denison, we take a number of things into consideration about you as an individual. We are seeking students who have demonstrated a seriousness toward their academic life and who, in addition, would bring a variety of interests, characteristics, and personal qualities to our dynamic campus community.
- Common Application or Coalition Application (required): Once you submit your application, you will be emailed a confirmation that includes login information for your online portal (where you can keep track of your other application materials). A personal essay is included in this application.
- Early Decision Agreement (only required for early decision applicants): This binding contract signed by you, a parent/guardian, and your high school counselor confirms as an early decision applicant that if admitted, you will enroll at Denison and withdraw any other applications.
- Interview (recommended): An interview is not required for admission consideration, but we do encourage applicants to complete one as an interview can provide a more personal element to your application. Interviews happen in a number of ways.
Learn More »
- ACT/SAT Scores (optional): Denison is test-optional. Test scores can be submitted directly from a testing agency, through official high school transcripts, or test scores can be self-reported. Any test scores submitted will be superscored.
- Arts Supplement (optional): Students who have an interest in cinema, creative writing, dance, music, studio art, or theatre may submit supplementary arts materials for faculty evaluation. If submitted, students will be eligible to receive a departmental scholarship. This is done through the Denison Applicant Portal, which is available once the Common or Coalition Application has been submitted.
- Counselor Recommendation & School Report (required): The applicant’s counselor submits these documents directly to us. *Home-schooled applicants should reference ‘home-schooled applicant recommendations below.
- High School Transcript (required): Your counselor must send us a copy of your official transcript. We will use this to recalculate your GPA and evaluate your academic performance and course selection.
- Teacher Evaluation (required): At least one teacher of a core course must submit a teacher evaluation form for you. You can invite your teachers to do this online, which is how they will submit the evaluation to us. *Home-schooled applicants should reference ‘home-schooled applicant recommendations below.
- Home-Schooled Applicant Recommendations (only required for home-schooled applicants): These recommendations must come from adults not related to you (unless a family member was your primary instructor). One reference should be a teacher, and the other should be from someone affiliated with one of your extracurricular activities.
All offers of admission are conditional based on Denison’s Conditions of Admission policy.
Denison University is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in matters of admission, employment, and housing, and in access to and participation in its education programs, services, and activities. No person shall be discriminated against on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, religion, creed, or disability.