Denison is part of the Ohio Consortium for Transfer Pathways to the Liberal Arts, a group of 25 colleges offering transfer pathways for community college students in Ohio. These pathways align with the Ohio Guaranteed Transfer Pathways, which provide a clear path for students to transfer from Ohio community colleges to colleges and universities across the state.
Denison has approved an English transfer pathway for community college students to transfer seamlessly to the university as a junior with maximum credits towards their English major and bachelor’s degree. Transfer advisors from Denison and community colleges collaborate to guide students through the process. By completing an associate’s degree using the English transfer pathway, students can transfer as juniors to Denison with introductory major courses and most general education courses complete. Then, students complete their bachelor’s degree in English in as little as four semesters. Denison’s English major offers two degree options: literature emphasis and creative writing emphasis.
Denison and other partner institutions signed a Transfer Pledge as our commitment to your success as a transfer student.
The Ohio Consortium for Transfer Pathways to the Liberal Arts is a partnership of 14 independent colleges and 11 community colleges working to enhance opportunities for students earning an associate’s degree to transfer to an independent college or university in Ohio. Our commitment is to approve transfer pathways for community college students seeking baccalaureate degrees in biology, English, and psychology, provide consistency in how courses transfer, and to strengthen the transfer culture on each campus and between institutions. The Consortium has worked closely with the Ohio Department of Higher Education to align our transfer pathways with the Ohio Guaranteed Transfer Pathways and to honor the ODHE Ohio Transfer 36 curriculum completed at an Ohio community college as meeting most or all general education requirements at the independent college where the student chooses to transfer.
Our institution pledges to:
- Support transfer students to achieve their educational goals with effective academic advising, appropriate resources, and recognition of their achievements.
- Provide transfer students with clear and accurate information about the transfer process. Clearly post transfer information for students in catalogs, marketing materials, institutional web pages and on appropriate web-based platforms.
- Approve and promote transfer pathways in one or more of these majors - biology, English and psychology – that clarify course selection, assure transferability of credits, and streamline completion of the bachelor’s degree.
- Accept transfer credit for the Ohio Transfer 36 curriculum so that most or all general education requirements are met, and clearly identify institution-specific general education requirements not included in the transfer pathways that must be completed at the four-year institution.
- Evaluate the completion of the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree as transfer credit at or near junior standing. Those who have completed a transfer pathway approved by the institution in biology, English or psychology should be able to complete the bachelor’s degree in four semesters as full-time students.
- Identify an institutional point person who will work with faculty to review the transfer pathways every two years so that pathways remain current and accurate, incorporating changes approved for the Ohio Transfer 36 and Ohio Guaranteed Transfer Pathways.
- Transfer pathways give you clarity in the courses you take from many different community colleges and assurance that your courses will transfer smoothly toward your bachelor’s degree at Denison.
- You’ll transfer with introductory major and most general education courses complete.
- With the associate degree and transfer pathway, students can transfer to Denison as a college junior, with maximum credit counting toward the major and bachelor’s degree. Check with a transfer advisor to make sure you meet GPA and other admission requirements.
- Once you’ve enrolled at Denison, you can complete your bachelor’s degree in as little as two years, enrolled as a full-time student.
- Transfer advisors at Denison and community colleges are working together for your success! They will answer questions and guide you every step of the way.
Requirements for Bachelor’s Degree
Denison worked with the following community colleges to approve the transfer pathway for students completing an Associate of Arts degrees in English:
- Central Ohio Technical College (plan is forthcoming)
- Clark State College
- Columbus State Community College
- Cuyahoga Community College
- Lakeland Community College
- Lorain County Community College
- North Central State College (plan is forthcoming)
- Northwest State Community College
- Sinclair Community College (plan is forthcoming)
- Stark State College
- Terra State Community College (plan is forthcoming)
We’re excited to see you at Denison! Meet with our transfer advisor to learn about the application and admission process as well as scholarships and financial aid.