We want you to know that:
- We do not sell or rent the information we have about you to anyone;
- We do not share your information with outside companies for the purpose of selling their products or services to you;
- We do not provide an opt-out option where information is required to satisfy university business and legal requirements. We will provide an opt-out for promotions and other optional offerings.
- We will provide data to other entities when legally required to do so.
Our Cookie Notice
Information We May Collect
Information You Voluntarily Provide
We collect your Personal Information to provide higher education services and to advance and sustain the university. The type of information we collect and the extent to which it is used depends on the services we provide to you or the type of business we conduct with you. For example, we may obtain information such as:
- For students, alumni, employees, and others: your name, mailing and email address(es), date of birth, telephone number, Social Security Number, employment, education, and occupation, from applications and other sources from you, your employer, and others;
- For prospective students: In addition to information referenced above, your year of graduation, your academic interests, and your grades. If you require financial assistance we will ask for financial information, information about your guardians and details in regards to your ability to pay-off loans;
- For prospective employees: your education history, work history from other companies, and salary history;
- For donors: financial information that you have provided to us, publicly available information about your financial assets, banking information as it pertains to gifts made to the college, and digital or hard copies of personal documents such as a will when including the university in your estate plan;
- Your use of services on our Websites, including forms to submit information as well as tools that collect browsing information and behavior.
When you provide us with Personal Information, you agree to provide accurate, complete and true information. You agree to not use a false or misleading name that you are not authorized to use.
We may request a third party support organization to collect information that we need about you. If we do, the organization
will submit a report to us. They may keep a copy of the report and share its contents with others. They will do so only as permitted or required by law.
Information Your Web Browser Provides
When you visit our Websites, we automatically collect information provided by your web browser. This information includes, but is not limited to, your device’s IP address, the pages of the Websites you visit, the time that your device visited, the identity of your service provider, and the name and version of your operating system. This passively collected data is used to administer, operate, and improve the Websites and Services, and to provide individualized advertising to you. We may use IP addresses and device data to protect the Websites or other users.
We may also use information in the aggregate that has no personal identifying characteristics to understand aggregate user and customer behavior. Non-personally identifiable information is not treated the same as Personal Information and we may use and disclose such information for various purposes.
How We Use Your Information
We use collected Personal Information to provide information and services you request; to operate, improve, and maintain our Websites; to prevent fraudulent use of our systems; to comply with laws; to individually tailor advertising and other aspects of your experience; to maintain a record of how you use our platforms; for administrative purposes; and for any other purposes that we may disclose to you when we request Personal Information and your consent to use it.
We may also use Personal Information to send you marketing materials that we believe might match your interests. You are able to opt-out of these marketing materials by using a link within the materials themselves.
We retain the Personal Information you provide in accordance with our record retention schedule.
Information We May Disclose
We may share the types of information described above with others that partner with the university. These disclosures are only made as authorized or as permitted or required by law–for example, disclosures made to:
- Others that perform business services or functions on our behalf or to serve you;
- State and federal departments of education, financial aid services, or other higher education boards, to support organizations for purposes related to higher education student tracking;
- Others that may have a joint operational agreement with us, unless state or federal law restricts such use;
- Other federal, state, or local legal authorities in connection with the regulation of university operations or to comply with laws and regulations;
- Law enforcement agencies to help prevent fraud or illegal activities;
- Authorized persons to respond to a subpoena, warrant, or other court order;
- Others for purposes of complying with auditing and reporting requirements or to protect our legal rights.
When information about you is disclosed to others, we expect them to protect your information. We expect them to use the information only for the limited purpose for which it was requested or shared.
We strive to ensure that your personal information is accurate and secured. We follow and are compliant to our best ability to all country, federal and state regulations. In general, you have the right to review your personal information that we have. If you believe that any of the information about you is not accurate, or is not being used appropriately; you may inform us electronically or in writing of any changes you believe should be made. You may also request that we stop using your Personal Information in a certain way. Requests may be submitted to the email address at the end of this policy. We will review your request and respond to it accordingly within thirty days.
Please note, that through the course of normal events we are required to retain certain information for legal and legitimate interests of the university. Transactions such as transcripts and graduation records must be kept for perpetuity, tax information for state and federal mandated periods, etc.
Confidentiality and Security
We restrict access to your personal information to those employees who, through the course of their duties, require such information in order to provide services or products to you. We safeguard your information through written agreements and physical, electronic, and procedural protections.
We employ commercially reasonable technical and administrative security measures to ensure that your personal information is accurate and secured. However, no security measures are guaranteed to be completely effective and we cannot warrant the information you submit to us. Any information submitted to us is done at your own risk.
“Do Not Track” Disclosures
Our Services and Websites are not directed at children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13 without obtaining parental consent. It is our procedure to promptly delete any Personal Information collected from a child under the age of 13 upon discovery of such a circumstance. If you believe that we may have collected Personal Information from a child under the age of 13, please contact us using the contact information at the end of this Policy and we will take appropriate steps to rectify this inadvertent collection. California residents under the age of 18 who are registered users of online Websites, services, or applications are able to request and obtain removal of content or Personal Information they have publicly posted.
Please direct data privacy inquiries to:
Denison University Data Privacy
c/o Data Inquiry Review Board
100 West College St.
Granville, OH 43023
Or send an email to: