Denison promotes and supports local community service by engaging the community in five areas:
- Denison Community Association — Our student-led and operated umbrella organization for student service committees.
- America Reads — Our program for Federal Work Study students to provide tutoring services to area elementary schools.
- Curricular Service-Learning — Denison courses which include structured service work as part of the text of the course.
- Denison Service Orientation (DSO) — The Center partners with First Year Programs to provide a service orientation opportunity in Washington, DC and Newark, OH each year.
- Community Service Interns — Our program for Federal Work Study students that places students with a local community non-profit organization to assist with on-going or new projects as needed by the organization.
Get answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions about Service Learning at Denison.
If engaged in ongoing service, please read the service learning training manual - for students & complete the training manual test-for students prior to starting your service.
The Alford Community Leadership & Involvement Center (CLIC) exists to support and collaborate with students, faculty, and staff as they actively engage in service and interact with people in our local Licking County community and beyond, through our partnerships with community-based organizations and with local schools as we work together to address community needs and issues. The Alford Community Leadership & Involvement Center develops and sustains opportunities and projects with community partners while also advancing student learning and development through intentional, reflective service. Our community partners enhance student learning about relevant social issues, and through service, students have opportunities to learn about and engage in community and civic affairs in meaningful and substantive ways.
We gratefully acknowledge the generous support of the John W. Alford Foundation, and we thank the Alford Foundation for their continued support of Denison University and our community through the Alford Community Leadership & Involvement Center.
For more information, please contact:
Denison University’s programs, offerings, events and arrangements are subject to change in the event of exigent circumstances, including the ongoing COVID-19 situation.