Denison promotes and supports local community service by engaging the community in five areas:
- Denison Community Association — Our student-led and operated umbrella organization for student service committees.
- America Reads — Our program for Federal Work Study students to provide tutoring services to area elementary schools.
- Curricular Service-Learning — Denison courses which include structured service work as part of the text of the course.
- Denison Service Orientation (DSO) — The Alford Community Leadership & Involvement Center partners with first-year experience to provide a service-learning orientation program working with non-profit organizations in Licking County.
- Community Service Interns — Our program for Federal Work Study students that places students with a local community non-profit organization to assist with on-going or new projects as needed by the organization.
- DU Votes — Denison encourages students, faculty, and staff to become registered voters and to exercise their right to vote.
Get answers to the most Frequently Asked Questions about Service Learning at Denison.
If engaged in ongoing service, please read the service learning training manual - for students & complete the training manual test-for students prior to starting your service.
The Alford Community Leadership & Involvement Center (CLIC) supports and collaborates with students, faculty, and staff, as they actively engage in service and interact with people in our local Licking County community and beyond. Through our partnerships with community-based organizations and with local schools, we work together to address social issues of educational equity, human rights and advocacy, health equity and wellness, economic equity and affordable housing, animal rights, civic engagement, and food security,
We develop and sustain opportunities and projects with community partners that advance student learning and development through intentional, reflective service. Collaborations with our community partners enhance student learning about relevant social issues. Through active service, students can learn about and engage in community and civic affairs in meaningful and substantive ways.
Denison’s Alford Community Leadership & Involvement Center thanks the John W. Alford Foundation for their generous support.
⇒ Use your Big Red ID to access more information on getting started with service learning and training manuals. Visit: MyDenison » Campus Resources » Alford Community Leadership & Involvement Center
For more information, please contact: