2013 Fall Audition Times
Orchestra/Denison Wind Ensemble
Seating auditions for all students will occur throughout the first week of class. A sign-up sheet will be posted on the bulletin board the first day of class.
- Thursday, August 29 - 4:30-6:00 p.m. in Burke Rehearsal Room - violins, viola, cello, bass
- Friday, August 30 – 3:00-5:30 p.m. in Burke Rehearsal Room - winds, brass and percussion. Auditions are only required for new students, students who were not enrolled last semester or for students wanting to try out as section leader. Returning students do not need to audition.
- Audition Requirements for Strings: Brief solo excerpt, at the choice of the student. Scale, 3 octaves, sight reading.
- Audition Requirements for Winds and Percussion: Brief solo excerpt, at the choice of the student and sight reading.
All wind, brass and percussion students should register for Wind Ensemble and indicate their interest in playing in orchestra at the auditions.
The Jazz Ensemble
Wednesday, September 4 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. in Burke Rehearsal Room.
Please report to Burke Rehearsal Room and be ready for your audition at 4:30 p.m.
Please contact Pete Mills at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
Singers Theater Workshop
- Friday, August 30 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. in Herrick Auditorium.
Please contact Belinda Andrews-Smith at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
All New Voice Students
- Friday, August 30 from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm in Burton 105.
Please report to Burton 105 to meet with Dr. Smith and to be assigned a voice teacher.
Auditions will be held:
- Wednesday, August 28 - 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Thursday, August 29 - 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Friday, August 30 - 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
If you cannot make one of these time slots, please make an appointment by contacting Professor Wines. All auditions will take place in Burton 206–no prepared solos are required for Concert Choir. If you are interested in joining Chamber Singers, then a prepared solo is required.
We also offer a variety of ensembles that do not require an audition, which include:
- The Jazz Combo
- Latin Jazz Percussion Ensemble
- The Bluegrass Ensemble
- Woodwind Chamber Ensemble
- Flute Ensemble
- String Chamber Ensemble
- Gospel Choir
- Trumpet Ensemble
- Brass Ensemble
- Composition Seminar
- Oboe Ensemble
- Flute Ensemble
- Saxophone Ensemble
- Balinese Gamelan Ensemble
Most freshmen enroll for private lessons and ensembles during June Orientation; however, you can enroll as late as the second week of the term. Please fill out a student schedule form, which can be located in the music office – Burton 101 when you arrive on campus or you can submit the form on line at denison.edu/academics/music under the Student Forms tab.
- Students registered for private lessons must fill out a student schedule form which can be located in the music office or you can download the form at denison.edu/academics/music under the Student Forms option.
The theory placement exam will be given on Wednesday, August 28 at 2:00-3:15 pm in Burton Room 14 (basement). This exam is for anyone who would like to test out of Theory I (MUS 104). It will consist of a written and aural portion.
Please do not hesitate to call us at 740-587-6220 or stop by the Music Office in Burton 101 for questions or assistance.