Learning in English
Denison offers support and resources to students for whom English is a second language through the Multilingual Learning Office.
You’ll find that studying in a second language can be challenging and rewarding. Learn how to:
- Read your assignments faster and remember them more easily
- Take better notes and improve your listening skills
- Speak in class, how to email your professor, and more!
In addition to supporting students in their second language, our professional staff at the Multilingual Learning Office offer support to:
- faculty working with students whose first language is not the language used in the classroom,
- faculty and students of foreign language classes, and
- anyone interested in different linguistic and cultural experiences in the classroom!
Multilingual students have different needs and we provide support for every student at Denison. We offer:
- Instructors for students whose first language is not the language used in the classroom
- Support for instructors and students of foreign language classes,
- Resources for anyone interested in different linguistic and cultural experiences in an academic setting
We offer a four-day pre-orientation program, English for Academic Purposes, to first-year students who want to practice their English in a safe environment before classes begin and to help you prepare for an academic career in the US.
We also offer Multilingual Writing 101, an invitation-only writing course developed for students unfamiliar with US academic writing conventions. The course is designed to cover the skills necessary for all your academic writing at Denison.