New System starting August 18, 2017
We are changing our Interlibrary Loan (ILL) system, and this will mean you need to sign up for a new account even if you have used ILL previously. To create your new account, you will need to use your D number (including the D) and create a password. Once you have created an account, you can make requests either directly in the system or by visiting our databases and using the direct link to Interlibrary Loan.
Please create your account here: https://2252.account.worldcat.org/profile/.
The old system will be disabled on September 17, 2017
You will no longer be able to request loans through the previous system as of August 18, 2017. From August 18,2017-September 17, 2017 you can access the old interlibrary loan system to download items or copy your history of requests. This history will not be transferred to the new system. To copy your history:
- Login to the old system at https://denison.illiad.oclc.org/illiad/logon.html
- Under the View area on the left-hand side of the screen, click on All Requests
- You will see a list of previous requests
- Copy or screenshot the list
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is the borrowing and lending of books and other materials between libraries. If Denison (DEN), CONSORT, or OhioLINK does not have the material you need, ILL will try to obtain it for you from another library. The responsibility of the ILL office is to locate materials for DEN patrons working on course-related projects. This service is not meant as a substitution for our own collections. ILL is primarily used to get copies of journal articles from journals that are not owned by Denison or available online.
Any DEN faculty member, emeritus, currently enrolled student, or currently employed staff person may place an ILL request. Special Borrowers, Licking County residents, and adults who reside outside Licking County but work in Granville should use local public libraries for ILL services.
Materials not obtainable through Interlibrary Loans:
- Textbooks (books needed for an entire semester)
- Books owned by Denison, CONSORT, or OhioLINK
- Books that are part of the Library's Reference Collection
- Rare or fragile items, such as manuscripts
- Multi-volume sets, reference books, or genealogical materials
- Current-year publications
- Entire issues or volumes of periodicals
- Most audiovisual items (videos, CDs)
For more information about ILL, visit the Library's Main Office (1st Floor), or contact Susan Rice.
Materials borrowed through ILL usually arrive within two weeks, but requests may take up to a month to be filled. If you need materials in less than two weeks, you should talk to a reference librarian about materials within the Denison/CONSORT/OhioLINK library system that may meet your needs.
The key to using ILL effectively is to plan ahead. Anticipate your borrowing needs and make your requests well before your project is due. If you are going to make many requests, it is better to space them out over a period of weeks so that they will not arrive and be due at the same time. You will be notified through campus e-mail or by a phone call when your materials arrive or if ILL cannot fill your request.
- Before placing an ILL request, use the CONSORT library catalog and the OhioLINK catalog, as well as our Government Document Reference sources to make sure that our library, CONSORT, and OhioLINK do NOT own the item you are requesting. Consult the Interlibrary Loan Department (x6431), the Circulation/ILL Manager (x5711), a Reference Librarian (x6682), or the Circulation Desk (x6235) if you are unsure about an item's status.
- Complete the online ILL request form. Each ILL request must be filled out accurately and completely or the procurement process will be delayed. When requesting a photocopied article from a periodical, remember to note the source of your information in the “Where Citation Found” box of the request form.
- After submitting, you will receive verification that your request was sent. You may follow the “Request Another?” link if you have additional items to submit. You will be notified through e-mail or phone when your material arrives OR if ILL cannot fulfill your request. Upon notification, materials can be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
Photocopies are yours to keep. Average loan period is one month. Some restrictions, such as “IN LIBRARY USE ONLY” may apply. Any restrictions will be indicated on the bookband or bookmark.
The due date is posted on a yellow bookmark inserted into each ILL book. DO NOT REMOVE the bookmark. ILL books must be returned on or before the due date. If an item is recalled, return it to the Circulation Desk as soon as possible.
It is up to the owning (lending) institution to decide whether or not an item may be renewed. Some institutions offer renewal periods; others do not. If you need a book for a longer period of time, you should request a renewal as soon as possible. To do so, stop by, e-mail, or phone (x6431) the ILL Office. Only one renewal request per item is permitted.
Is there a charge for ILL?Denison makes every effort to borrow from institutions that do NOT charge for ILL services. At times, we have no choice but to request items from institutions that do charge. If the fees to obtain an item will be excessive, you will be contacted before your request is processed.
The Library's future borrowing privileges from other libraries are jeopardized when Denison patrons do not return materials on time. Therefore, patrons who do not return items on time will be assessed an overdue fine on all past due ILL materials. Fines vary depending on the lending institution.
In the case of lost items, the patron will pay the replacement charge imposed by the lending institution. Any questions regarding an ILL fine must be brought to the attention of Susan Rice (x6431), not to the Circulation Desk.