Green Revolving Fund
Going Green On The Hill
The Denison Green Hill Fund is a green revolving fund (GRF) that was developed in 2011 in response to the Sustainable Endowments Institute’s Billion Dollar Green Challenge initiative. The college allocated an initial $1 million from its operating budget for projects that increase energy efficiency and water conservation on campus. The money saved by the efficiencies is then put back into the revolving fund to make further sustainable improvements. Since this initial allocation, the college has grown the fund to $2.5 million and has invested in more than 70 projects.
Some recent projects include:
- Lighting upgrades in all campus buildings
- Timed switches in the Library stacks
- LED fixtures in The Nest and Bookstore
- HVAC controls and occupancy sensors in Knapp and Olin Halls
Review and Selection of Projects
The fund is administered by the Vice President of Finance & Management. Each year, $500,000 is available to fund energy projects on campus. Of that amount, $450,000 is allocated for projects identified by the Director of Facilities and his administrative staff, along with the Sustainability Coordinator. In addition, $50,000/year is allocated for projects identified by any member of the campus community.
Once projects are identified they are evaluated using the following criteria:
- Consistent with the goals of the Sustainability Plan.
- Low implementation cost
- High opportunity for cost savings
- Estimated payback period
- Ease (time, complexity, disruption, etc.) of implementation
- Significant greenhouse gas emissions reduction
- Significant environmental benefits
- Significant educational/research potential
- Significant social benefit
- Partnership and collaboration opportunities within Denison and with the surrounding community
- High campus stakeholder buy-in and participation
- Ability for long-term success
To submit a proposal or idea or a Green Hill Fund project, please use the Green Hill Sustainable Community Grant Nomination form
For more information:
- Going Green on the Hill
- Billion Dollar Green Challenge - Denison University: Green Hill Fund
- Sustainability Efforts Lead to Green
- Association of Governing Boards - The Virtuous Cycle of Green Revolving Funds
- NYT Opinionator - Investing in Energy Efficiency Pays Off
Direct any questions you have to the Campus Sustainability Coordinator, Jeremy King.