Each year, Denison University celebrates the academic achievements of students and faculty during the college’s annual academic awards convocation. This year, due to the Covid-19 crisis, the annual event was canceled, but the recognition of new faculty chairs, honoraries that include additional support for research, continues.
A number of Denison professors hold named chairs, which come with monetary and other awards. The professors newly holding five-year named chairs are:
- Associate Professor of Modern Languages Dosinda Garcia Alvite: The Alumni Chair
- Associate Professor of Physics and Astronomy Riina Tehver: The J. Reid Anderson Distinguished Professorship in Physics
- Associate Professor of Economics Jessica Bean: The JP Morgan Chase Endowed Professorship in Economics
- Professor of Physics and Astronomy Wesley Walter: The Henry Chisholm Chair in Natural Sciences
- Associate Professor of International Studies Taku Suzuki: The Judy Gentili Chair in International Studies
Two inaugural named faculty chairs were introduced:
- Professor of History Megan Threlkeld: The Michael G. and Barbara W. Rahal Professorship in History
- Professor for Environmental Studies Abram Kaplan: The Anne Powell Riley Endowed Professorship
Two special awards recognized particular excellence in teaching at Denison.
- Associate Professor of Economics Quentin Duroy: The Charles A. Brickman Excellence in Teaching Award
- Professor of History and Director of Global Commerce Karen Spierling: The Bonar Family Mentoring and Teaching Excellence Award
One special award recognizes faculty mentorship and leadership on campus.
- Associate Professor of Black Studies and Director of Center for Black Studies Toni King: The Charles & Nancy Brickman Distinguished Leadership Chair