The building of Brick and Bedford is designed in an Academic Georgian style. Shaw was built in 1939, by William Gehron. The building is named in honor of Denison's 12th President Avery A. Shaw and his wife. Avery Shaw took office in 1927 and deftly shepherded the college through the Great Depression until 193. When he turned 70, he was required to retire according to Denison’s constitutional by-laws.