What’s new on campus? Summer 2019 construction updates
Denison crews have been tackling construction and repairs on campus this summer. Here’s the breakdown by quad:
- The Common Ground coffee shop has moved to the first-floor east side. It will offer pastries and a variety of coffee, teas and hot beverages.
- The former coffee area will facilitate convenience store purchases.
- New flooring has been installed on the first floor of Slayter, and we will refurbish the terrazzo flooring on the second floor in the coming months.
- The entrance to the Library has been relocated to its original configuration at the top of the main steps. The interior has a whole new look with a new circulation desk, terrazzo flooring, lighting, and woodwork. The President’s Room, reading rooms on the third floor as well as the study rooms have new lighting, flooring, refinished woodwork, and a fresh coat of paint.
- Many Instructional Technology Offices have been relocated to Burton Hall (formerly Burton Music) on the Fine Arts Quad.
- The former IT offices will become faculty and staff offices for some departments already located in Fellows.
- Student Account Services are back on the first floor of Doane Administration, after updates to those offices.
- Swasey Chapel is receiving new flooring, pews and curtains. It will reopen in late September.
- Silverstein Hall construction is running in accordance with the planned opening in Fall 2020.
- Social Lodges in the Brownstone parking lot will be ready to open as scheduled by October 31. Some parking spaces in the Brownstone lot will be available after construction is concluded.
- Pratt Hall has been refreshed with updated flooring, social spaces and bathrooms. A fresh coat of paint and new LED lighting have brightened up spaces. There will be a chalkboard wall in the dining area. Carpet has been removed throughout the building, including in bedrooms, and vinyl plank flooring has been installed in all spaces. Apartments have refreshed kitchen spaces, including new cabinets, sink and flooring, new bathroom cabinets, counter tops, showers, fixtures, flooring, and new cordless shades. New furniture has been added to bedroom, dining and living room spaces, including new mattresses on every bed.
- Beta Theta Pi has been refreshed with updated flooring, social spaces and bathrooms.
- Beaver, Sawyer and Shaw have been refreshed with updated flooring, social spaces and bathrooms, and fresh coat of paint throughout, in a peaceful, neutral color. New LED lighting fixtures brighten up spaces. All carpet has been removed throughout the building, even in lounges, and replaced with vinyl plank flooring. Updated lounge spaces feature Smart TVs for streaming with friends, new furniture, and refreshed kitchen spaces. Other updates include new bathroom cabinets, counter tops and faucets, new cordless blinds and new mattresses on every bed.
Fine Arts Quad:
- The Michael D. Eisner Center for the Performing Arts is open for classes and performances. A grand opening event will take place Friday, Oct. 11, with a live production of “BoJack Horseman.”
- The Eisner Center Parking Lot, on the former site of the Ace Morgan Theatre, is open. Some residual construction remains to be completed.
Parking and Paving Projects:
- Ridge Road has been repaved and many parking lots have been newly striped. View the current parking map.