History & Architecture
The building is named after Franklin G. Smith, Cleveland industrialist and trustee, 1915-1968. William Gehron designed the building and Smith Hall was completed in 1953.
Smith Hall is named for Franklin G. Smith, a self-made Cleveland industrialist and the first to serve 50 years as a Denison trustee. He was known to say, “Worry is the most useless thing in the world. It wastes today and saps the strength of tomorrow.”