Some foreign countries may require documents to be certified in order to be accepted in the foreign jurisdiction. An “apostille” or “document authentication” certifies the signature and the position of the official who has executed, issued or certified a copy of a document.
The educational documents usually requested for certification are the diploma and/or official transcript.
Obtaining an Apostille or Authentication for Denison University Documents
Steps for obtaining an apostille or document authentication for Denison University documents:
- Send completed and signed Denison University apostille request form (available on the DU Registrar’s website at MyDenison and denison.edu) to the Denison University Registrar’s Office for your Denison documents to be notarized.
- Provide the Registrar’s Office with a copy of Denison diploma. We will only print a duplicate diploma if needed.
- The Registrar’s Office will certify the document as an official record or true copy of the original before a notary public.
- Once the documents have been notarized, the County Clerk will certify the signature of the notary public. The Licking County Clerk of Courts Office has a $1 fee. With your request, please include a $1 check or money order made payable to “Clerk of Courts”.
- You will be notified when the notarized document is available for pick up or is mailed (if requested).
- If requested, Denison University will mail the documents to the Ohio Secretary of State and provide a postal tracking number. See link below for instructions from the Ohio Secretary of State. With the “Authentication Request Cover Letter”, please include a check or money order made payable to the “Ohio Secretary of State” in the amount indicated on the Ohio Secretary of State’s website to cover their fee.
- Apostille/document authentication requests are processed once a month during the last week.
Contact Information and Links
Registrar’s Office, 100 West College Street, Granville, Ohio 43023.