Steven Doty is a Professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Denison University. He teaches courses at all levels of physics and astronomy. His research centers on understanding the processes and environments of stellar birth and death. He also does work on understanding everyday phenomena.
Dr. Doty conducts research involving undergraduate students in a number of areas, including:
- Star and planet formation
- Stellar old-age and death
- Mathematical physics and ordering
- Everyday phenomena
Learning & Teaching
- “Chemistry as a probe of the structures and evolution of massive star-forming regions”, S. D. Doty, F. S. van der Tak, E. F. van Dishoeck, & A. M. S. Boonman, 2002, A&A, 389, 446-463
- “Constraining the Structure of the L1544 Star-Forming Region”, S. D. Doty, S. E. Everett*, N. J. Evans II., Y. L. Shirley, & M. L. Palotti*, 2005, MNRAS, 362, 737
- “Multidimensional chemical modeling of young stellar objects, II. Irradiated outflow walls in a high mass star forming region”, S. Bruderer, A. O. Benz, S. D. Doty, E. F. van Dishoeck, & T. L. Bourke, 2009, ApJ, 700, 872
- “Herschel-HIFI detections of hydrides towards AFGL 2591: envelope emission vs. tenuous cloud absorption”, S. Bruderer, A. O. Benz, E. F. van Dishoeck, M. Melchior, S. D. Doty, F. F. S. van der Tak, P. Staueber, S. F. Wampfler, C. Dedes, U. A. Yildiz, and 59 coauthors, 2010, A&AL, 521, 44.
- “Water in low-mass star-forming regions with Herschel: HIFI spectroscopy of NGC1333”, L.E. Kristensen, R. Visser, E.F. van Dishoeck, U.A. Yıldız, S.D. Doty, G.J. Herczeg, F.-C. Liu, B. Parise, J.K. Jørgensen, T.A. van Kempen, C. Brinch, S.F. Wampfler, S. Bruderer, A.O. Benz, M.R. Hogerheijde, E. Deul; and 51 coauthors, 2010, A&AL, 521, 30.