Things To Know
The Denison University Office of Campus Safety is part of the Student Development Division. While many colleges place Campus Safety in a more administrative position, under the Office of Budget and Management and limit their student interactions to security and enforcement, at Denison, being situated in Student Development provides us with an avenue to support student activities and enrich the student experience instead of simply providing security guards for the campus.
The Office of Campus Safety is classified as a police department, but our daily activities and operating procedures set us aside from traditional law enforcement agencies. Most of our call for service are related to quality of life calls, such as room unlocks and safe rides/escorts, as well as Fire/EMS related runs, including fire alarms, medical emergencies, and mental health wellbeing checks. We also respond to all reports of policy violations, which in most cases issues will be addressed through the Office of Community Values and Conflict Resolution instead of the municipal court system. Only those cases that involve serious criminal activity will be referred to local law enforcement. The twenty dedicated and experienced professionals who make up the Office of Campus Safety are committed to our mission of providing a safe learning, living, and working environment for all members of the Denison Community.
General Safety Information
Campus safety requires the cooperation and support of the whole Denison community, including students, guests, staff, and faculty. Please actively participate by taking personal precautions and immediately reporting all incidents and accidents that may happen.
- Always lock your room door
- Always lock your vehicle
- Report all incidents and accidents immediately to Campus Safety
- Keep yourself informed. Check campus mail, bulletin boards and channel 20 for notices which pertain to specific safety conditions on campus.
Specific On-Campus Information
- All the telephones have 911, or call 6777 for emergency.
- Residence halls are locked 24 hours/day.
- Call 6623 for a Safety Escort escort between 8pm - 2am
- Become familiar with emergency and exterior telephones and use whenever necessary. There is an operator/dispatcher on duty 24 hours/day.
- Report lost keys/ID cards immediately.
- Never allow strangers into the residence halls.
- Report immediately any maintenance problem which may impact building security.
Residence Hall Lock Outs
If you are locked out of your residence hall room and have lost or forgotten your key, you should contact the R.A. on duty. If you cannot locate the R.A., a Safety Officer will unlock your door. The college will charge you $15 for this service. This charge will be billed to your student account.
Important Phone Numbers:
- Emergency: 911
- Campus Emergency: 740-587-6777
- Campus Safety: 740-587-6482
- Campus Environmental Health and Safety: 740-587-5646
- Operator/Dispatch: 740-587-0810
- Administrative Office: 740-587-6298
Hours of Operation:
- Operator/Dispatch Center, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Administrative Offices, 8 am - 4:30 pm