2019 - 2020
Departmental Guidelines and Goals
The International Studies program is interdisciplinary in nature. It encourages all of its students to view the world from interdisciplinary perspectives and to be broadly concerned with social, political, economic, historical, and cultural processes, and the power differentials and links that connect individuals, communities, groups, states and regions across the globe.
International Studies Major
Students who major in International Studies must take the following courses:
- INTL 100 - Introduction to International Studies: The Making of the Modern World (the introductory course to the major, taken by the end of sophomore year)
- INTL 200 - Themes and Approaches in International Studies (required for sophomore International Studies majors)
- INTL 201 - Major Proposal for International Studies (1-credit proposal writing course, taken Spring semester sophomore year)
- INTL 400 - Senior Capstone Seminar (offered in the Fall semester for International Studies seniors),
- Two INTL 250 electives “Global and Local Flows and Frictions” (several elective courses offered each semester),
- Four courses organized into a thematic concentration (“concentration courses”),
- Two semesters of non-English language study beyond the Denison GE requirement
- Relevant off-campus study (OCS) experience.
- Majors must take INTL 100 - Introduction to International Studies: The Making of the Modern World, INTL 200 - Themes and Approaches in International Studies, and INTL 201 - Major Proposal for International Studies by the end of the sophomore year.
- In the INTL 201 - Major Proposal for International Studies course students will propose four courses they will use as their "concentration courses" to fulfill their specific concentration area within International Studies. Up to three courses from their OCS program may count towards their concentration.
- The language requirement can be fulfilled in a number of ways, and students should consult with the INTL Director or another INTL faculty advisor. Students may include in their off-campus study a language particular to that program and one that is not taught at Denison. Students who enter Denison as multilingual students may have already fulfilled the INTL language requirement.
- All majors in International Studies must take INTL 400 - Senior Capstone Seminar in the Fall semester of their senior year.