Dr. Kennedy joined the faculty at Denison in 1992 following completion of a four-year post-doctoral fellowship in behavioral immunology at Ohio State’s College of Medicine. Dr. Kennedy teaches Physiological Psychology, Psychopharmacology, and Introductory Psychology, and is co-advisor to Denison’s newly-formed Neuroscience Concentration.
My research interests are focused in two general areas of behavioral neuroscience and psychopharmacology. The first area is concerned with how animals' behavioral responses to stimulant drugs such as amphetamine might abe modified by previous drug experience. This work has implications for models of "addiction," which maintain that early experiences (such as stress) may make an organism "at risk" for later stimulant addiction. Secondly, I am interested in the historical and cultural contributions to current drug policy, and the role of science versus popular culture in defining public policy regarding licit and illicit drugs.
- Agha, S., Brooks, D. C., & Kennedy, S. (in preparation). College students’ perceptions (and misperceptions) about alcohol and marijuana.
- Kennedy, S. (in preparation). Psychopharmacology: An introduction to drugs and behavior. Wadsworth, Thomson Learning.
- Kennedy, S. (in press). The psychoneuroimmunology of AIDS: Stress, personality factors and coping, interpersonal relationships and health outcomes. In The Management of Stress and Anxiety in Medical Disorders (Mostovsky, D. & Barlow, D., Eds).
- Kennedy, S. (1996). Herpesvirus infections and psychoneuroimmunology. In H. Friedman, et. al (Eds). Psychoneuroimmunology, Stress and Infection. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Kennedy, S. & Collier, A.C. (1994). Stress-induced modulation of the immune response in the developing rat pup. Physiology and Behavior, 56, 825-828.
- Glaser, R., Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K., Bonneau, R.H., Malarkey, W., Kennedy, S. & Hughes, J. (1992). Stress-induced modulation of the immune response to recombinant hepatitis B vaccine. Psychosomatic Medicine, 54, 22-29.
- Glaser, R., Pearson, G.R., Jones, J.F., Hillhouse, J., Kennedy, S., Mao, H. & Kiecolt-glaser, J.K. (1991). Stress-related activation of Epstein-Barr Virus. Brain, Behavior and Immunity, 5, 219-232.
- Kennedy, S., Glaser, R. &Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K. (1990). Human psychoneuroimmunology. In J.T. Caccioppo & R.E. Petty (Eds). Principles of Psychophysiology: Physical, social and Inferential Elements. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Kennedy, S., Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K. & Glaser, R. (1990). Social Support, stress, and the immune system. In B.R. Sarason, I.G. Sarason & G.R. Pierce (Eds). Social Support: An Interactional View. New York: Wiley.
- Tomei, L.D., Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K., Kennedy, S. & Glaser, R. (1990). Psychological-stress and phorbol ester inhibition of radiation-induced apoptosis in human peripheral blood leukocytes. Psychiatry Research, 33, 59-71.
- Glaser, R., Kennedy, S., Lafuse, W.P., Bonneau, R.H., Speicher, C.E. & Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K. (1990). Psychological stress-induced modulation of IL-2 receptor gene expression and IL-2 production in peripheral blood leukocytes. Archives of General Psychiatry, 47, 707-712.
- Kennedy, S., Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K. & Glaser, R. (1989). Neuroimmunology of normal human behavior. In E.J. Goetzl (Ed). Neuroimmune Networks: Physiology and Diseases. New York: Alan Liss.
- Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K., Kennedy, S., Malkoff, S., Speicher, C.E. & Glaser, R. (1988) Marital discord and immunity in males. Psychosomatic Medicine, 50, 213-229.
- Kennedy, S., Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K. & Glaser, R. (1988). Immunological consequences of acute and chronic stressors: Mediating role of interpersonal relationships. British Journal of Medical Psychology, 61, 77-85.
- Pellis, S.M., O?Brien, D.P., Pellis, V.C., Teitelbaum, P., Wolgin, D.L. & Kennedy, S. (1988). Escalation of feline predation along a gradient from avoidance through “play” to “killing.” Behavioral Neuroscience, 102, 760-777.
- Alander, D.H., Servidio, S., Schallert, T. & Teitelbaum, P. (1983). Possible vestibular involvement in behaviors induced by d-amphetamine. Federation Proceedings, 1159.
- Kennedy, S. Teaching brain-behavior relationships to undergraduates. (March, 1994). Midwest Institute for Teaching of Psychology, Chicago, IL
- Collier, A.C., Kennedy, S., Glaser, R. & Hennessy, M.B. (July, 1990). Developmental effects of mother-infant separation on immune functioning in rats. International Society for Developmental Psychobiology Annual Meeting, London, England.
- Glaser, R., Griffin, A., Bucci, D., Hillhouse, J., Kennedy, S., Kotur, M. & Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K. (November, 1989). Psychological stress down-regulates IL-1 production in human macrophage/monocytes. Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ.
- Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K., Dura, J.R., Kennedy, S., Speicher, C.E. & Glaser, R. (April, 1989). Stress and immunity: Alzheimer family caregivers. American Psychiatric Association Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Kennedy, S., Malarkey, W.B., Shaut, D. & Glaser, R. (November, 1988). Enhanced blasteogenesis of human lymphocytes by prolactin. Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada.
- Glaser, R., Tomei L.D., Kennedy, S. & Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K. (April 1988). Cellular and molecular consequences of psychological stress. Molecular Biology of Stress, Keystone, CO.
- Kennedy, S., Kiecolt-Glaser, J.K., Malkoff, S., Fisher, L., Speicher, C.E. & Glaser, R. (November, 1987). Changes in herpesvirus latency in a stressed population: Implications for psychological mediation of immune responses. Society for Neuroscience and Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Perlman, J. & Kennedy, S. Sensitization to amphetamine in the developing rat pup. (submitted for presentation at the Midwestern Psychological Association Meeting, April, 1999)
- Hersman, M.N., Freeman, J.E. & Kennedy, S. (May, 1997) Short-term chronic fluoxetine treatment increases wheel-running of rats in the activity-stress paradigm. Midwestern Psychological Association Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Perry, L. & Kennedy, S. (November, 1996) Endocrine responses to a metabolic stressor in the developing rat: Role of litter and maternal influences. International Society for Neuroimmunomodulation, Bethesda, MD.
- Kennedy, S., Collier, A.C., Bilio, D. & Perry, L. (April, 1996) Comparative effects of social and metabolic stressors during development: Role of age and maternal influences following reunion. Psychoneuroimmunology Research Society Meeting, Santa Monica, CA.
- Kennedy, S. Williams, J., Geiman, E. & Leccese, A.P. ( November, 1995). Modulation of amphetamine-induced stereotypy in preweanling rat pups by 2-deoxy-D-glucose. Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA.
- Molnar, S.A. & Kennedy, S. 2-deoxy-D-glucose modulation of hypothalamic norepinephrine in the developing rat pup. (November, 1994). Psychoneuroimmunology Research Society, Key Biscayne, FL.