As Denison University’s chief academic officer, Kim Coplin is the steward of the academic program, with oversight of the curriculum, departmental and interdisciplinary majors and programs, the registrar and academic schedule, the athletics program, the Denison University Library, the Denison Museum, the Off-Campus Program, the Lisska Center for Scholarly Engagement, and the Center for Learning and Teaching. Under her leadership, and with approval by the faculty, the college has ushered in innovative academic programs, including majors in Global Commerce, Data Analytics, and Health, Exercise & Sport Studies as well as new concentrations in financial economics, narrative journalism and Middle East & North African Studies, and the Denison Seminars Program.
Coplin was a physics major as a Denison student, graduating in 1985. She earned her M.A. in physics from Johns Hopkins in 1987, and her Ph.D. from Ohio State in nearby Columbus. Prior to becoming Denison’s provost in 2013, she served the college as associate provost for seven years. Coplin also is associate professor of physics with research interests including experimental condensed matter physics, with a focus on novel electronic materials, and in the biophysics of human movement.
Learning & Teaching
- R”, S. Quillard, G. Louarn, K. Berrada, S. Lefrant, K.A. Coplin, S.W. Jessen, and A.J. Epstein. 1995. Resonance Raman Scattering and Photoinduced Infrared Absorption in Different Forms of Polyanilines and Substituted Polyanilines .Nonlinear Optics. v. 10 p. 253
- A.J. Epstein, J.W. Blatchford, K. Kim, L.-B. Lin, T.L. Gustafson, K.A.Coplin, and A.G. MacDiarmid. 1994. Long Lived Neutral Solitons in Pernigraniline Base. Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals. v. 256 p. 399
- K.A. Coplin, S. Jasty, S.M. Long, S.K. Manohar, Y. Sun, A.G. MacDiarmid, and A.J. Epstein. 1994. Neutral Soliton Formation and Disorder in Pernigraniline Base. Physical Review Letters. v. 72 p. 3206
- K.A. Coplin, J.M. Leng, R.P. McCall, A.J. Epstein, S.K. Manohar, Y. Sun, and A.G. MacDiarmid. 1993. Photoexcitation Spectroscopy: Solitons in Pernigraniline Base. Synthetic Metals. v. 55 p. 7
- R.P. McCall, J.M. Ginder, J.M. Leng, K.A. Coplin, H.J. Ye, A.J. Epstein, G.E. Asturias, S.K. Manohar, J.G. Masters, E.M. Scherr, and A.G. MacDiarmid. 1991. Photoinduced Absorption and Erasable Optical Information Storage in Polyanilines. Synthetic Metals. v. 41 p. 1329
- T.E. Skinner, M. T. DeLand, G.E. Ballester, K.A. Coplin, P.D. Feldman, and H.W. Moos, J. Geophys. 1988. Temporal Variation of the Jovian H I Lyman Alpha Emission. Res.. v. 93 p. 29