As a math major at Oberlin College, I set a career goal to be a liberal arts college professor. After completing my degree in Operations Research at Georgia Tech, I joined Denison in 2017. As a teacher, I try to excite and inspire students and to demonstrate the diverse ways data is used today and will be used in the future. If you take a class with me, you may see a collection of statistical and mathematical puzzles, riddles, and games that build out-of-the-box thinking necessary for problem solving. As a researcher, I believe in interdisciplinary collaborations that simultaneously solve real world problems and expand mathematical concepts. I enjoy working with students on research projects of their own choosing or introducing them to my work in the healthcare field. Prior students I have mentored have gone on to graduate school and won academic grants. I live with my wife Ondrea and our variety of reptile and mammal pets. I have a massive bo ard game collection, enjoy nature hikes, and hope to open a pizza shop after retiring.
Learning & Teaching
- DA 101 - Intro to data analytics
- DA 200 - Data analytics colloquium
- DA/MATH 220 - Applied Statistics
- DA 301 - Data analytics practicum
- DA 350 - Advanced methods for data analytics
- DA 401 - Data analytics seminar
- MATH 425 - Applied probability
Collaborating with medical professionals, I have developed data-driven mathematical models of blood pressure and cardiovascular disease. I have improved risk prediction models and built tools to recommend optimal blood pressure treatments. My current focus is on the opioid epidemic, from both a predictive and prescriptive lens.
- Bonifonte, A., Ayer, T., Haaland, B., & Wilson, P. W. “An Analytics Approach to Guide Randomized Controlled Trials in Hypertension Management”. Forthcoming in Management Science.
- Bonifonte, A., Merchant, R., & Deppen, K. “Morphine Equivalent Total Dosage as Predictor of Adverse Outcomes in Opioid Prescribing”. Pain Medicine (2021): pnab249
- Ayer, T., Zhang, C., Bonifonte, A., Spaulding, A., & Chhatwal, J. “Prioritizing Hepatitis C Treatment in U.S. Prisons” Operations Research 67.3 (2019): 853-873.
- Bonifonte, A., Ayer, T., Veledar, E., Clark, A., & Wilson, P. W. “Antecedent blood pressure as a predictor of cardiovascular disease.” Journal of the American Society of Hypertension (2015) 9(9): 690-696.
- Norback, J., Utschig, T., Bonifonte, A., and G. Ross. “Final Results of Reliability testing for the Norback-Utschig Presentation Scoring System”. ASEE, 2014.
- Bonifonte, A., Garcia, E. “Improving Geographic Access to Methadone Clinics”. Under review.
- Bonifonte, A., Garcia, E., Ngo, H. “Optimal route planning for mobile narcotic treatment programs”. Work in progress.
INFORMS, SIAM, ASA
- Graduate Instructor of the Year, Georgia Tech 2015
- Best Healthcare Student Paper, 2nd place, IISE, 2017
- Pierskalla Best Paper Award, Finalist, INFORMS 2016
Tong Zhou, ‘20