The revitalized Knobel Hall houses computer science, data analytics, and data for political research, along with the King Center for Data & Innovation.
Directions to Knobel Hall →

Phone

740-587-0810
Use Academic
Established 1895
Style Details French Romanesque Revival
The history of Doane and its connection to Denison will be honored within Knobel Hall, and the original stone etching on the exterior of the building will be retained.

More about Knobel Hall

Knobel Hall was built in 1895 as the Doane Academy, a college preparatory school that closed in 1927. A gift of William Howard Doane, the building is French Romanesque Revival style in Oakland pressed brick and Amherst stone.

A composer of thousands of church hymns and editor of the Baptist Hymnal, Doane also invented more than 100 devices for woodworking machinery and was a trustee of Denison from 1874 until 1915. He also presented Denison with two additional buildings (the original library and a gymnasium) and his daughters with three more (the present library, Higley Hall and Central Heating Plant).

In the 2024-2025 academic year, Denison broke ground on a sweeping renovation and expansion, and in 2025, Denison renamed the building Dale and Tina Knobel Hall. A new expansion that anchors and expands the facility, the Emily Hauser King and Robert E. King Center for Data and Innovation, opened in 2026, houses Denison's computer science and data analytics departments and serves as a campus-wide resource for courses in applied mathematics, digital humanities, financial economics, and data for political research.

Learn more about the King Center for Data & Innovation


Directory

View the departments, offices, programs, services, and faculty with offices located in Knobel Hall.

See Denison A-to-Z »

Departments, Offices, Programs & Services

Knobel Hall Archives

Back to top
Back to top