Dr. Kristina Steiner is a lifespan developmental psychologist whose research program focuses on autobiographical memory. She graduated with a Ph.D. from the University of New Hampshire and completed a post-doctoral research position in collaboration with an autobiographical memory research center in Aarhus, Denmark. She is especially interested in investigating the directive function of personal and shared memories across age groups and cultures, and the relationships between life story narratives and various outcomes, such as well-being.
She teaches Adult Development and Aging, Research Methods in Adult Development and Aging, Infancy and Child Development, Research Methods in Infancy and Child Development, Introduction to Psychology as a Science, Research Methods and Statistics, and upper-level seminars on autobiographical memory, identity, & language development.
- Steiner, K.L., Pillemer, D.B., & Thomsen, D. K., (in press). Writing about life story chapters increases self-esteem: Three experimental studies. The Journal of Personality, DOI:10.1111/jopy.12449
- Leichtman, M.D., Steiner, K.L., Camilleri, K., Pillemer, D.B., & Thomsen, D.K., (2019). What happened in kindergarten? Mother-child conversations about life story chapters. Memory, 27, 49-62. DOI: 10.1080/09658211.2018.1483515
- Steiner, K.L. & Pillemer, D. B. Development of the life story in adolescence. (2018). Journal of Early Adolescence, 38, 125-138. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0272431616659562
- Steiner, K.L., Thomsen, D.K., & Pillemer, D.B. (2017). Life story chapters, specific memories, and conceptions of the self. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 31, 478-487. DOI: 10.1002/acp.3343
- Thomsen, D.K., Steiner, K.L., & Pillemer, D.B. (2016). Life story chapters: Past and future, you and me. Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition, 5, 143-149. DOI: 10.1016/j.jarmac.2016.03.003
- Pillemer, D.B., Steiner, K.L., Kuwabara, K.J., Thomsen, D.K., & Svob, C. (2015). Vicarious Memories. Consciousness & Cognition, 36, 233-245. DOI: 10.1016/j.concog.2015.06.010
- Steiner, K.L., Pillemer, D.B., Thomsen, D.K., & Minigan, A. P. (2014). The reminiscence bump in older adults’ life story transitions. Memory, 22, 1002-1009. DOI:10.1080/09658211.2013.863358