Homestay Students: Summer Housing and Program Options (April 30, 2020)
For the most up-to-date information, please see Denison’s primary COVID-19 Coronavirus information page.
We write with some important updates to help you with end-of-the semester planning. This has been a challenging few months and we want to offer you some reassuring possibilities for the coming weeks and months ahead.
Many of you are in homestays now and have had the opportunity to get to know some of the wonderful people who live in our nearby communities. We hope this has been a bright spot during a difficult time for all of us. The Homestay Program officially ends on May 13. We know that some of you are planning to return home after May 13th, but some of you are uncertain about the next few weeks as we all wait to learn more about airline, travel restrictions, and quarantine requirements.
Here is what we do know right now:
- Denison will not be able to offer any housing on campus this summer or any summer programming (e.g. Tea Time, organized trips for shopping, etc.).
- The Columbus College of Art & Design (CCAD) offers an independent, apartment-style living option in downtown Columbus, with public transportation (COTA) and easier access to markets/businesses, etc. A small grocery store is right next to the building.
- The rate is $600/per month/per student. The 4 bedroom and two full bathroom apartments are equipped with a kitchen and internet/Cable TV capability. Laundry facilities are also available in the building. Rooms are available for rent beginning May 9th until August 8th.
- Resident staff from CCAD are there to assist students as needed.
- We can arrange a shuttle for you to CCAD. They will have staff on hand to greet you and get you situated.
If you are interested in staying at the CCAD apartments please respond to this form by May 1st. We encourage you to discuss this opportunity with your homestay family.
Internships and summer course options
In addition to housing, we are aware that some of you are looking for good summer options for career-building experience and/or academic credit. Here are four we can suggest right now:
- Marilyn Andrew already emailed you about the Summer on the Cuyahoga (SOTC) internship program. Important Note: students are required to apply to the SOTC Employer positions through the postings on Handshake. Please do not reach out to employers on your own.
- The Intern Philly program with Arcadia University is offering virtual internships for $1950. The internships earn 3 elective course credits at Denison. Please note: you can do this program from Columbus. The entire program is offered remotely.
- In addition to Intern Philly, Arcadia is offering an international virtual internship program in Europe, Virtual Europe, as well as supplementary remote academic courses. Students may earn up to 9 credit hours on this program, 3 credits for the internship ($1950), 6 credits for the courses ($1500 each) for a total of $4950.
- Arcadia is offering a hybrid program as well: Intern Philly (3 credits), plus one-two Virtual Europe courses. This program costs $3450- $4950, depending on the number of credits you opt to take.
If you are interested in pursuing any of thes Arcadia programs please contact Sandy Spence as soon as possible. The application deadline is May 20th.
Finally, many, if not all of you, are wondering about the start to the fall semester, including availability of any “early arrival” to Denison residence halls in August. We have nothing definitive to share at this point. Planning is ongoing and we will communicate that information to you as soon as it becomes available.
We hope that these options are both exciting and affordable. Our team is happy to help you with your planning and we look forward to hearing from you soon!
Dr. Katy Crossley-Frolick, Director of Global Programs
Bill Fox, Dean of Students