During the Student Life Awards Ceremony, the Division of Student Life honors our students’ outstanding achievements and recognizes their exemplary commitment to Denison University.
These awards are presented to individual students, campus organizations, and events/programs that devoted time and passion to exhibiting the vision and values of Denison University while contributing to an engaging, dynamic campus culture. Honorees demonstrate:
- good academic standing for student
- good standing with regard to conduct for student, campus organization/group
- good standing with sponsoring department for campus organization/group
1831 Senior Leadership Award
This award is given each year to senior standing students who have shown dedication, passion, and immense effort toward the improvement of student life throughout their tenure on The Hill. Awardees demonstrate the following behaviors and accomplishments:
- Actively engaged in a campus organization or student life department(s)
- Demonstrating a strong sense of campus pride
- Demonstrable leadership through impactful change or a leader position
Big Red Innovation Award
This award is presented to one student or campus organization who embraces the hallmarks of entrepreneurship, innovation, and creative problem-solving. Awardees demonstrate at least one of the following:
- Applying creating problem-solving or design thinking skills to solving campus or community problems
- Generating and launching a business idea or entrepreneurial venture
Wellness Champion Award
In honor of Denison’s commitment to promoting a culture of wellness, we recognize the student organization or individual student who has made a significant contribution to wellness on campus. The recipient has contributed by:
- Fostering a campus culture or environment that supports the well-being of others
- Collaborating across campus partners to implement wellness strategies, or
- Empowering other students with resources to become agents of well-being for themselves and for others.
Forward Scholars are student leaders whose practices enhance inclusion, diversity, equity, and antiracism (IDEA) through trainings and programs. By partnering with The Center for Belonging and Inclusion leadership, Forward Scholars focus on 3 areas:
- Participate in and lead workshops on IDEA topics and conflict resolution.
- Serve as an advisory committee for the Division of Student Life on IDEA topics.
- Serve as ambassadors for the IDEA Student Certificate.
The outcomes of the Forward Scholar’s work develops the scholar’s leadership practice and promotes community at the intersection of IDEA work. Students are identified for this opportunity through a competitive selection process. If selected again, students may serve as Scholars for multiple semesters. Scholars receive payment as a student employee of the center, priority access to center activities, and receive recognition at the Student Life end-of-the-year celebration.
Resident of the Year
The Resident of the Year Award is awarded to students who:
- Are an outstanding member of their residential community by embodying the Residential Communities & Housing values of: personal growth, diverse perspectives and belonging.
- Are actively and positively engaged in their residential community
- Respects the space and environment of their residence hall
Student Employees of the Year
As part of the university’s continuing effort to encourage and reward exemplary student employees, we recognize and honor students who have demonstrated outstanding performance by contributing their time and/or skill to help the university achieve its goals and objectives.
We recognize student employees who represent each of these values:
- Care for the Community
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Innovation & Technology
- Outstanding Critical Thinking
- Outstanding Leadership
- Overall Student Employee
Campus Organization Awards
Campus Organization of the Year
This award will be presented annually to honor a campus organization that through their efforts, builds connection and community for Denison University. The ideal nominated organization will have demonstrated a focus on creating a sense of belonging and inclusion, promote and empower their membership to practice well-being, and strive to create a culture of excellence within their organization.
Campus Organization Program of the Year
This award is given annually to an event/program that embodies the Denison spirit through its commitment to leadership development, collaboration among groups, and efforts to enhance the quality of campus life. The ideal program will have a profound connection to the Division of Student Life priorities of engagement pathways, belonging & inclusion, well-being, and connection & community
Campus Organization Advisor of the Year
This award is presented annually to the Denison University employee who advises/supervises a student group. The ideal nominee will have demonstrated exceptional organizational advisement, personal mentoring, and leadership development among students.
Distinguished Service Award
This award acknowledges the student, campus organization, and event/program that models an extraordinary commitment to voluntary service on campus and in the greater local and global community. Awardees demonstrate the following behaviors and accomplishments:
- Volunteering with the intent of social change
- Advocating for social issues within the campus and the surrounding community
- Demonstrating a strong sense of civic duty and democratic engagement
Fraternity & Sorority Life (FSL) Awards
FSL Chapter of the Year
This award recognizes one fraternal organization that exemplifies the values of the fraternal community at Denison University. The selected organization has made great strides and impact in the areas of Academic Excellence, Membership Development, Community Engagement, Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Anti-Racism, Leadership and Character Development, and Social Responsibility.
FSL Member of the Year
This award recognizes one fraternity or sorority member that contributes or makes an impact to the larger fraternity and sorority community. Awardees demonstrate the following behaviors or accomplishments:
- Advocate for the betterment of the fraternal community and Denison and beyond
- Demonstrate a strong sense of leadership through change or position
FSL Advisor of the Year
This award recognizes one fraternity or sorority advisor that makes a strong impact on the chapter and members they advise. This award is nominated from members of the fraternity and sorority community, and is given to someone who has mentored and advised the organization, has created strong relationships with its members, and who has continuously dedicated time and energy to support the organization’s mission and values.