Monomoy Place was built in 1863. Its large frame structure features the segmental arched lintels and projecting bays which were typical of the Italianate style.
Originally the private residence of Dr. Alfred Follett, the house was acquired by John Sutphen Jones in 1896 when he married Follett’s daughter, Sarah Fedelia Follett. It was then that Jones named the house Monomoy Place after a small island off the coast of Cape Cod near Chatham, Mass.
A noted Midwest industrialist, Jones commissioned prominent MIT-educated architect Frank Packard to design the Granville Inn and renovate and expand Bryn Du Mansion. Jones also commissioned acclaimed Scottish-born golf course designer Donald Ross to lay out what is now Denison Golf Club.
The roof of Monomoy Place was altered in 1900 to accommodate a large ballroom on the third floor, and Denison bought the structure in 1935 to use as temporary housing for women until more residence halls could be built on the upper campus. Monomoy also was used as a temporary home to the Denison chapter of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity
The house was renovated in 1979 for use as the residence of Denison’s presidents from 1980 to 2018. Those presidents were Robert C. Good (1976-1984), Andrew G. De Rocco (1984-1988), Michele Tolela Myers (1989-1998), Dale T. Knobel (1998-2013), and Adam S. Weinberg (2013-present).
As of 2018, Monomoy Place is home to Denison’s Office of Alumni & Family Engagement.