Mitchell Recreation and Athletics Center
History & Architecture
Mitchell was built by John Reid of Harden, Reid and Jahnes of Newark in 1994. The building is made of brick and stone, which is intended to blend with the structures already present in the Physical Education complex. The building is named for Louis A. Mitchell 1957, trustee and fourth generation Denison graduate, who was instrumental in funding the $7.3 million project. Mitchell was a star basketball player while attending Denison and was inducted into the Denison Athletic Hall of Fame in 1975. The Recreation Center houses a state-of-the-art 200-meter indoor track with a balcony; four regulation tennis courts; four competition squash courts; a varsity strength room; a cutting-edge fitness room with treadmill, climbing stair, bike and rowing machines and free weights; a large multipurpose room with a hardwood floor for aerobics and other recreational activities; and networked classrooms.
The newly renovated and expanded Mitchell Center is a popular spot on campus. About 30 percent of Denison’s students compete in varsity athletics, and an equal number participate in club and intramural sports.
What's Happening Here
Campus Rec Magazine
The Daily Orange
Top Coach Podcast