History & Architecture
The design of the building is Queen Anne style in stone, brick and wood. Burton Hall was designed by Richards, McCarty and Bulford of Columbus. The hall originally used as a dorm for the women of Shepardson College, a school that formed out of the Young Ladies' Institute and would later merge with Denison. The building is named after Dr. Nathan S. Burton, founder of the Institute.
Granville was an important location in the history of women’s education in the Midwest, and Burton Hall is a part of that history. It was built for women who attended Shepardson College, which consolidated with Denison in 1900, completely merging in 1927.
Queen Anne style in stone, brick and wood.
Richards, McCarty and Bulford of Columbus