Denison is committed to supporting students with disabilities in all aspects of University life, including residential life. This policy describes the process for requesting disability-related reasonable housing accommodations. Housing accommodations must be requested and approved each academic year.

Denison views the residential experience, including living with others, as integral to the University’s educational mission, enrolled students are generally required to live in on-campus housing. Given the significant logistical work related to housing assignments for the entire student body and other aspects of the housing supply, Denison requires students seeking disability-related housing accommodation to submit their request and documentation by the established deadlines, which are set out below.

Requests and questions about accommodations should be routed through the Academic Resource Center (ARC), which assesses and coordinates student disability services across a range of needs. Residential Communities & Housing does not determine eligibility for disability accommodations.

Process for Requesting a Housing Accommodation

  1. Students wishing to be considered for reasonable housing accommodations must submit to the Academic Resource Center (ARC) current documentation from appropriately licensed physicians, psychologists, or other qualified professionals, as well as supporting historical materials. To receive a reasonable accommodation at Denison, an individual must have an impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, consistent with disability law. A diagnosis does not necessarily equate to a disability or special housing need.
  2. All requests and documentation will receive individualized review by ARC in consultation as appropriate with others such as student health center and housing staff. Documentation must provide a comprehensive review of the disabling condition (not just a prescription pad note supporting a specific housing request). Learn more about what type of information suggested health professionals.

    While health providers do not have to use these specific forms, they provide guidance to the provider regarding the extent of the information they should provide to best articulate the nature and severity of the disability and the need for reasonable accommodation.

  3. Documentation may be delivered via the Academic Resource Center (ARC) intake form by the established deadline. Incomplete forms or those without documentation of a disability will not be considered. Questions about documentation can be directed to 740-587-6666 or
  4. Determinations as to housing accommodation requests will be shared with the student by ARC, and approvals will be shared with Residential Communities & Housing.

Housing Accommodation Request Timeline

Deadlines are established each semester to allow application review and accommodation considerations prior to the general housing selection process. The application deadlines are in the chart below.

Students are advised to start the process early to allow adequate time to obtain the needed documentation by the stated due date. Obtaining documentation from a health care provider often requires advance notice and could take several days or weeks for your provider to prepare. Incomplete application materials will delay the eligibility determination and could result in a denial of the accommodation request. Denison will accept requests for reasonable accommodations in housing at any time, but such requests will be reviewed and considered according to the following due dates. The accommodation requests of students who miss the deadline or submit incomplete information may not be able to be met during the requested semester.

If the need for the accommodation arises when an individual is already residing in housing, they should reach out to ARC and submit the request form and relevant medical information as soon as possible. Denison will promptly review the request, though cannot guarantee that it will be able to meet the accommodation needs during the semester in which the request is made.

Academic Year and Semester Request Deadlines

Student Status

Full Academic Year/Fall

Spring Semester (only)

Incoming 1st Year/Transfer

June 1

January 1

Currently Enrolled Student

March 1

November 1

Student Returning from medical leave or reinstated from suspension

The Monday 3 weeks prior to the 1st day of classes

The Monday 3 weeks prior to the 1st day of classes

Housing Accommodations requests and all necessary documentation for the following academic year are due to ARC (020 Higley) by 4:30PM

Additional Housing-Related Requests

Students interested in seeking approval for an Emotional Support Animal in the residential space should review the Denison ESA Policy.

Important to Note:

  • Denison is deeply committed to meeting the disability-related needs of our students. As a result, it is important that we reserve special housing assignments for students with such needs. Requests based on student preferences, and not grounded in a disability warranting a reasonable accommodation, are not appropriate to this process. Fortunately, Denison has many different types of residential spaces, and a room-selection process that affords students a great deal of choice. Students should pursue room preferences unrelated to disability-related needs through the normal housing process.
  • Diagnosis of a medical condition does not, in and of itself, automatically qualify a student for a housing accommodation. Denison will do an individualized review of every request in making determinations about special housing eligibility.
  • Reasonable housing accommodations are defined by the appropriate accommodation(s) and are provided for an individual student. Accordingly, Denison may not be able to meet other preferences along with the housing accommodation (such as preference for a particular location, hall, or roommate(s)).
  • Some students may have a disability that can be reasonably accommodated through the established housing selection process. In those cases, the student will be so advised and Residential Communities & Housing will be able to address questions related to that process.
  • A student has the right to decline an offered assignment. However, Residential Communities & Housing cannot generally provide an alternative assignment once the housing selection process is underway.

If you need further assistance or accommodations, please contact: