Beth Eden - Admissions & Financial Aid Offices Building Image
53
check-ins
Foursquare Mayor
Gina B.
Foursquare Mayor

Beth Eden

Established: 
1903
Current Use: 

Beth Eden continues to house Admissions offices and also the offices of Financial Aid.

History & Architecture

The land where Beth Eden stands was first acquired in 1889 from Fletcher O. Marsh, professor of mathematics and acting president of the university from 1873 - 1875. The Marsh house was then torn down and the new home or "President's Mansion" was built in 1903. The first president to live in the house, Emory W. Hunt (1901-1912), unofficially named the house "Beth Eden" after the Massachusetts' church where he and his wife were married. The house was converted to the Admissions center in the early 1970's and the name "Beth Eden", meaning "House of Peace," was made official.

Central Campus
4df0091081dc710774f7c7f1
Each year, more than 1,000 prospective students pass through Beth Eden as they visit campus, and more than 4,000 apply for enrollment. But there’s only room for about 600 in each class, so competition for a Denison education is stiff.
Building Style: 
Frame house in Federal Revival style.
Beth Eden Building Image

Enjoy this gallery of familiar and unusual perspectives of a signature building.

 

Walking across A-quad during Common Hour last week yielded this triple treat: a world-class cellist playing a fantastical mini-concert; a table full of—get this—one thousand chocolate-chip cookies; and a sky so impossibly blue that the whole scene felt like a dream.

Matt Haimovitz, the extraordinary artist who performed with the orchestra A Far Cry in the Vail Series season-opener at Swasey Chapel, staged a short program for a spellbound audience under the shade of maple trees near Doane Library.