Enjoy this gallery of familiar and unusual perspectives of a signature building.
Doane Dance Building
The building now houses the Dance Department which contains two dance studios, both of which are equipped with a five-layer, spring-loaded floor. The department uses the facilities to teach modern dance, ballet and also contemporary jazz.
The Doane Dance building is Jeffersonian Federal Revival style built in 1905 and designed by Richards, McCarty & Bulford of Columbus. The firm designed four other structures on campus in the same style. Originally a gymnasium, the building was also home to art studios before being renovated to house the dance department starting in 1975. A large studio/performance space, which seats 100, is equipped with a full set of theatrical lights and a professional sound system. Its sound/light booth includes a sound recording and mixing board, 24 dimmers and a dimmer doubling system. A second smaller studio has video playback capacity. Both studios are equipped with a five-layer, spring-loaded floor and virtually all technique classes are accompanied by live music. The building also houses a costume shop with sewing machines, washer and dryer and supplies, a seminar room, a student computer lab, and a conference room.