Currently our efforts focus on utilizing dioxacarbenes to synthesize cyclopropanone acetals. We are trying to utilize a dioxacarbene realized from various cyclic carbonates. This is based on precedence from studies on the mechanism of the Corey-Winter olefination. We have developed a general synthesis for a variety of cyclic carbonates. The synthesis of novel diols is currently under development.
A thorough study of the mechanism of the Corey-Winter olefination is also being pursued. To this end, a novel synthesis of various dihydroxycinnamates has been developed.
The final project involves developing a novel synthesis of pyrrolidines that is efficient and broadly applicable to allow for a variety of substituents on the pyrrolidine. Currently the focus is exploring the reaction between an imminium chloride and an amino acid.
My desire is to create an environment that is conducive to learning. I seek to prepare students for their future endeavors while assisting them to realize their full potential. Former research students are physicians, veterinarians, or pharmacists and some hold positions in industry.
- “Modified Siwoloboff-Wiegand Procedure for the Determination of Boiling Points on a Microscale.” Troyer, T. L.; Mounsey, K. R.; King, W. J.; Givens, L. M.; Hutton, J. A.; Hood Benges, M.; Whitlatch, K. N. and Wagoner, J. D. J. Chem. Ed. 2018, 95, 1406-1410.
- “Antibacterial and cytotoxic effects of Red Mangrove (Rhizophora mangle L. Rhizophoraceae) fruit extract.” Hicks, M.; Bailey, M. A.; Thiagarajan, T. R.; Troyer, T. L.; and Huggins, L.G. European J. Sci. Res. 2011, 63, 439-446.
- “Origins of Selectivity in Brønsted Acid Promoted Diazoalkane-Azomethine Reactions (The aza-Darzens Aziridine Synthesis)” Troyer, T. L.; Muchalski, H. M.; Hong, K.B.; Johnston, J. N. Org. Lett. 2011, 13, 1790-1792.
- “Preparation of Isopropyl 2-Diazoacetyl(phenyl)carbamate.” Muchalski, H.; Doody, A. B.; Troyer, T. L.; Johnston, J. N. Org. Synth. 2011, 88, 212-223.
- “To Protonate or Alkylate: Stereoselective Brønsted Acid Catalysis of Carbon-Carbon Bond Formation Using Diazoalkanes, Leading to Highly Functionalized Chiral Small Molecules” Johnston, J. N.; Muchalski, H.; Troyer, T. L. Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 2290-2298.
- “Solid Phase Synthesis of Novel Pyrrolidinedione Analogs as Potent HIV-1 Integrase Inhibitors” Pendri, A.; Troyer, T. L.; Sofia, M. J.; Walker, M. A.; Naidu, N.; Banville, J.; Meanwell, N. A.; Dicker, I.; Lin, A.; Krystal, M.; Gerritz, S. J. J. Comb. Chem. 2010, 12, 84-90.
- “Brønsted Acid Activation of a α-Diazo Imide: A syn- Selective Glycolate Mannich Reaction.” Troyer, T. L.; Muchalski, H. M.; Johnston, J. N. Chem. Comm. 2009, 6195-6197.
- “Exploring the Effect of Reagent and Solvent on the Electrophilic Addition of Bromine to Cinnamic Acid in the Undergraduate Organic Laboratory.” Troyer, T. L. Syposia at the 25th Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Notre Dame, IN, July 29 – August 2, 2018.
- “Using Nerf Guns to Explain Equilibrium.” Troyer, T. L. Symposia at the 25th Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Notre Dame, IN, July 29 – August 2, 2018.
- “The Joy of Discovery in the Search to Improve the Treatment of Disease.” Troyer, T. L. Northeast Indiana ACS section Annual Banquet keynote address, May 2016.
- “Progress Towards the Development of a Novel aza-Petasis Ferrier Rearrangement.” Springer, K. R.; Handtke, J. A.; Troyer, T. L. Symposia at the Joint 41st Great Lakes and 46th Central Regional Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Grand Rapids, MI, May 27-30, 2015.
- “The Direct Reductive Amination of Unprotected α–Amino Acids” Troyer, T. L. Taylor University Seminar Series, September 2013.
- “Breaking Tim: Twenty Years of Making Drugs Legally.” Troyer, T. L. Huntington University Smith Lecture Series, March 2013.
- “The Isolation of New Bioactive Compounds from Plants.” Troyer, T. L. Junior Science and Humanities Symposium keynote address, April 2012.
- “Assessing the Impact of Chemistry in Context Vignettes on Student Engagement and Learning.” Troyer, T. L.; Rosenthal, S. J. Poster session at the 20th Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Bloomington, IN, July 27 – July 30, 2008.
- “The Development of a New syn-Glycolate Mannich Reaction.” Troyer, T. L.; Muchalski, H.; Johnston, J. N. Symposia at the 60th Southeastern Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Nashville, TN, November 12-15, 2008.
- “Isolation of potential lead compounds from nontraditional sources.” Troyer, T. L.; Huggins, L. G. WV-INBRE Outreach Core Faculty Research Development Grant, 2010-2011, $46,000.
- “West Virginia IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (WV-INBRE).” Rankin, G. O.; Valentovic, M.; Hardman, E. W.; Troyer, T. L. NIH administrative supplement, 2009-2011, $151,316.
- “Modernization of the Undergraduate Organic Chemistry Laboratory to Enable the use of Microscale Reactions and Green Chemistry” Troyer, T. L. WV EPSCoR Innovation Grant, 2009-2010, $40,000.
- “Isolation of Biologically Active Substances from Centaurea Cyanus.” Troyer, T. L.; Huggins, L. G. WV-INBRE Outreach Core Faculty Research Development Grant, 2009, $50,000.
- “A Short and Efficient Synthesis of Cyclopropanones: a Versatile Intermediate for the Synthesis of Biologically Active Molecules.” Troyer, T. L. NASA-WV EPSCoR Research Seed Grant, 2009, $10,000.
- “A Short and Efficient Synthesis of Cyclopropanones: a Versatile Intermediate for the Synthesis of Biologically Active Molecules.” Troyer, T. L. NASA-WVSGC Research Enhancement Grant, 2008, $3000.