More about Doane Dance
The Doane Dance building is Jeffersonian Federal Revival style built in 1905 and designed by Richards, McCarty & Bulford of Columbus. The firm designed four other structures on campus in the same style. Originally a gymnasium, the building was also home to art studios before being renovated to house the dance department starting in 1975. A large studio/performance space, which seats 100, is equipped with a full set of theatrical lights and a professional sound system. Its sound/light booth includes a sound recording and mixing board, 24 dimmers and a dimmer doubling system. A second smaller studio has video playback capacity. Both studios are equipped with a five-layer, spring-loaded floor and virtually all technique classes are accompanied by live music. The building also houses a costume shop with sewing machines, washer and dryer and supplies, a seminar room, a student computer lab, and a conference room.