Answers to a few of the most common questions asked of the Office of Campus Safety .
Officers transport students sick or otherwise injured to Health Services. Officers provide walking or driving escorts when Safewalk is not in service. Officers manage the campus parking program to maintain vehicular access to campus roadways. We also provide security for special events or guest speakers or artists on campus. We spend a large portion of our time securing buildings and monitoring fire, intrusion and detection systems in all buildings. We also play an important part in building inspections for maintenance of life safety systems such as sprinklers, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers. We conduct biannual fire drills in all residence halls.
Additionally, students who assist in obtaining medical attention for other individuals who are intoxicated will not receive conduct sanctions for violations of alcohol policies of the Student Code of Conduct. Safety reports how the person seeking Medical Amnesty was discovered or how they requested assistance. Safety does not decide who receives amnesty; they only provide proof that the student made the request for amnesty.
We often end up in rooms because we have not been able to speak with the residents or have not been able to stop whatever behavior we are there for from continuing. The next step is to ask all non-residents to leave the premise.
- If we have a person who had no Denison affiliation and they are not accompanied by a host and they have violated the law we might call GPD to handle the incident. The reason we do this is we exercise no control over people unaffiliated with the college.
- If we are unable to identify the person we are dealing with. GPD can assist in identifying people and can manage non-student visitors who have violated the law better than we can.
- If anyone is threatened with bodily harm we refer cases to GPD to investigate.
- When we come upon anyone driving while intoxicated we refer them to GPD.
- Any time someone is failing to cooperate or do what we are requesting them to do.
- Whenever a crime has been reported to us and the victim wants the police contacted.
All campus safety departments deploy most of their staff during the times in which most of the activities that are problematic take place. I think the fact that we have staff assigned to specific residential areas is why students believe security is always around. So to answer the question, why is security always around it is mainly because we need to be available to handle incidents that arise during the busy times of the night and early morning hours. It does not make good sense to have staff working when students are in classes or are asleep.
In conclusion, Safety is really not interested in prying in the lives of students. However, we need to minimize risk. In order to do so we have to investigate incidents brought to our attention. The following are the ways in which students can avoid incidents involving Safety at your gathering.
- When hosting a gathering make sure you know ahead of time how many people can safely be in your space. If your party ends up spilling out of your space it will draw the attention of Security staff.
- Before your event, plan ahead. Make sure you know who you expect to attend your party and invite only those people you want at your party. Open invitation parties end up being much larger than you can plan for or have room for and end up drawing Security attention.
- Speak with your neighbors to make sure they know how to contact you during your event if there are problems. They are less likely to call Safety if your event gets out of hand if they can call you first to manage it.
- Assign a resident to be the spokesperson for the party who will assist Security in managing the party if it needs to be managed or broken up.
- Cooperate fully with Safety staff if they respond to your gathering. To do anything less will not help your situation.
- If you feel that you were not treated properly or the procedure was not handled the way it should have, please contact the Director of Safety to make a complaint.
Important Phone Numbers:
- Emergency: 911
- Campus Emergency: 740-587-6777
- Campus Safety: 740-587-6482
- Campus Environmental Health and Safety: 740-587-5646
- Operator/Dispatch: 740-587-0810
- Administrative Office: 740-587-6298
Hours of Operation:
- Operator/Dispatch Center, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Administrative Offices, 8 am - 4:30 pm