New Community Coordinators in Res Comm
I work with a team of amazing Community Advisors (CAs) to foster a sense of community and bonding for a group of over 300 First-Year students here at Denison that reside in the two communities I oversee. Since I work with first-year students, it is imperative and crucial that I am ready and available to assist these new college students with any questions they have. I think that working with First-Year students is a special role because I am able to see them grow and develop into mature students who will make an impact on the world. I also serve as a liaison with CLIC to create volunteer opportunities for our students and facilitate events and education focused on civic engagement.
- Community: Smith/Shorney
- Hometown: Durham, NC
- Education: B.A. Political Science, University of North Carolina at Pembroke
- Office Location: Shorney 1st Floor
- Favorite Quote: “To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time.” -James Baldwin
- Hobbies: Watching a Ken Burns documentary, playing with my cat Tina, and fighting for social justice
This year I will be a Community Coordinator on the East Quad in Crawford Hall. I am excited to work with Denison students to build a fun, safe, and engaging community.
- Community/Building: Crawford Hall (East Quad)
- Hometown: Falls Church, Virginia
- Education: B.A. Mount Holyoke College in Psychology & Education
- Office Location: Crawford Hall
- Favorite Quote: “I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” - Maya Angelou
- Hobbies: Running, reading, binge-watching great Netflix series & traveling
I get to be part of the “head and heart” of student housing here at Denison. My position is tailored to making these halls into homes— this ranges from supervising and supporting the CA (community assistants) in my buildings who are supporting our residents day-to-day, to aiding in conflict resolution as it arises, to programming and community development. I also get to be a liaison to another campus office as part of my role— this year, I’m serving as a liaison to Counseling Services at the Wellness Center.
- Community: North Loop (Chamberlin, Beta, Kappa Sigma, Morrow, Schaff, Moshier-Huchison, Preston, and Taylor)
- Hometown: I’m originally from Anderson, Indiana, which is 45 minutes northeast of Indianapolis.
- Education: Bachelors of General Studies from Ball State University in Muncie, IN, with minors in Women’s and Gender Studies and Interpersonal Relations / Counseling Psychology.
- Office Location: Taylor Hall, right at the front entrance!
- Favorite Quote: My favorite quote is “Nothing can save us forever, but a lot of things can save us today.” It reminds me that while my individual actions may not necessarily make large-scale changes in the world, they still make all the difference to myself and those around me.
- Hobbies: I love reading and writing, playing video games, searching for good matcha, dog-spotting, and being outdoors (usually in a hammock somewhere).
My role essentially consists of supervising Community Advisors in their work within the residence halls, as well as facilitating community both in my area and additional areas on campus. I will also be in a liaison position with CLIC, specifically fraternity and sorority life to connect FSL and ResComm through additional programming opportunities.
- Community/Buildings: Beaver/Sawyer/Shepardson area of East Quad
- Hometown: Frederick, Maryland
- Education: BA in Sociology and Political Science from St. Mary’s College of Maryland
- Office Location: Crawford Hall
- Favorite Quote: “Why wait for the storm to pass when you can dance in the rain?”
- Hobbies: Rock Climbing, Teaching Color Guard