Voter Registration Information
Denison University strives to educate and inspire its students to become active citizens of a democratic society. Participation in civic life through voting in local, statewide, and national elections is a crucial component of active citizenship. Toward this end, students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to become registered voters and to exercise their right to vote.
- As a college student at Denison University, you have the legal right to register to vote using either your home address or your University dorm address. You may wish to consider where you feel most connected to the community, where you will have the greatest impact, or where it will be easiest/most difficult to vote.
- According to the Ohio Secretary of State, if you are a college student, you have the right to register to vote in the county in which you attend school (Licking County, Ohio), provided you have established a residence there as defined in Ohio law. You can establish a voting residence at Denison if you have a present intention to remain at that address for the time being, which would be your current dorm address. You must plan to return after temporary absences, like school breaks.
- If you have established residency in another municipality or state, you may vote by absentee ballot in that state. It is illegal for a person to register and vote from two different addresses.
Registering to Vote in Ohio
You can register to vote or update your information for Licking County:
- By mail:
Licking County Board of Elections
20 South Second Street
P.O. Box 4261
Newark, OH 43058
- In-person at the Licking County Board of Elections
- Access the voter registration form (to be mailed or delivered)
- You can register to vote online in Ohio if you have an Ohio driver’s license.
Registering to Vote in Another State
Here is where you can find voter registration details for your state: State Voting Requirements and Information.
If you are a student, you have the right to register in Licking County, Denison’s home, provided you have established a voting residence there as defined in Ohio’s election laws. You can establish a voting residence at Denison if you have a present intention to remain at that address for the time being, which would be your current dorm address. If you have established residency in another municipality or state, you may vote by Absentee Ballot in that state.
- You can register to vote at the Licking County Board of Elections or any of the locations listed here (on the bottom of the webpage)
- Completed voter registration forms may be delivered or mailed to the Licking County Board of Elections or any of the above locations, they may also be sent to the Secretary of State’s Office in Columbus
Requirements to Vote in Ohio
To register to vote in Ohio, you must provide one of the following:
- Your Ohio Driver’s License Number
- The last four digits of your Social Security Number
Once You Vote In-Person
If you are registered to vote in Ohio, you must provide a valid form of identification at the polling location. You can use any form of identification from this list:
- An unexpired Ohio driver’s license or state identification card.
- An original or copy of a current utility bill (issued in the last 12 months) with the voter’s name and present address (You can obtain a copy of your Denison Utility Bill which has your dorm address on it from the Denison Bookstore).
- Military identification.
- Other forms of valid identification in Ohio.
Requirements to Vote in Other States and Territories
- Additional information on voting ID requirements for all 50 states and the territories.
Anyone may vote by Absentee Ballot if they will not be available on election day to vote in-person. You do not need a specific reason to vote Absentee, and you can decide to do so even if you will be available to vote in-person.
This process requires requesting an Absentee Ballot to be sent to you via mail before the election and is followed by mailing your completed ballot to your Board of Elections or Secretary of State by election day.
DU Votes has set up a Remind system that will be used to update you on voting information and important deadlines for Licking County and beyond leading up to election day.
Register for these reminders online or by texting @duvote to 81010
You can also receive occasional text messages and email reminders from vote.org based on your voting location (In Ohio or your home state) by signing up.
DU Votes can assist you with completing voter registration and absentee ballot applications for all 50 states and the territories. Requests for assistance should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and will be responded to within 24 hours.