First-Year Student Move-in Information
Unless approved to return early for participation in a sponsored program, fall move-in is scheduled for August 13, 2020 via a pre-scheduled move-in time slot. You will arrive at campus via the East Gate (Mitchell Center entrance) and will proceed through a traffic pattern to receive your key.
After-hours arrivals and arrivals outside of the pre-scheduled move-in time slot cannot be accommodated. Instructions for scheduling a move-in time slot will be provided via your Denison email address on July 10, 2020. Please plan accordingly.
Be advised that student check-in prior to the provided time slots cannot be accommodated for a variety of reasons. Please refer to the list of local hotels located in your new student information notebook if you plan to be in the Granville/Denison area prior to this date. Only approved early arrival groups participating in sponsored activities may arrive in advance.
During early arrival periods:
- Meal plans are provided by the athletic team or pre-orientation group
- Campus services (i.e Mitchell Athletic Center, the library, etc.) are limited until residence halls open
- Whisler Center for Student Wellness is closed until classes begin
- Campus Safety is available 24/7.
Student athletes and students arriving for pre-orientation programs will pick up room keys at Doane Hall during hours that have been arranged by the group’s leadership. Outside of the arranged hours, keys may be obtained at the Campus Safety Office, located on level P1 of the parking garage. It is best to arrive during posted hours.
The arrival of first-year students can result in campus congestion. With this in mind, we ask that you and your family plan to arrive only during your scheduled time slot. Doing so will allow us to assist you best.
Please pack light and plan to unload vehicles quickly. When you arrive on campus, August Orientation staff members, Community Advisors and student athletes will be present to assist you in getting to your assigned residence hall. You will proceed through the traffic pattern stopping at stations along the way. Because traffic and parking may be hectic, we ask that you limit unloading to 30 minutes, then park your car in the assigned lot.
After you are settled in your room, please walk to Academic Quad for further information.
These change yearly based on the needs/desires of the incoming class.
- Shorney - non-designated / alcohol free (students are not 21)
- Smith - non-designated / alcohol free (students are not 21)
- Curtis West - non-designated / alcohol free (students are not 21)
- Curtis East - non-designated / alcohol free (students are not 21)
- Morrow - quiet / alcohol free (students are not 21)
- Beta - drug, alcohol and tobacco-free housing
No room changes will be permitted until after August 28, 2020 (as space allows and upon approval from Residential Communities) to allow the Student Housing Operations and Planning Office time to verify student occupancy. After this date, room changes can be accommodated, although the availability of space will be limited.
Students may place their name on a waiting list in their My Housing portal. This may be found by logging into MyDenison » My Apps » My Housing » Room/Roommate Selection » Waiting Lists. Student and professional staff members are always available to assist students in mediating roommate concerns or conflicts.
Students are expected to live in their assigned rooms. Any student who moves without authorization from the Student Housing Operations & Planning Office or who fails to complete appropriate paperwork may be subject to action under the Student Code of Conduct and could lose the privilege to participate in the housing selection.
Because our rooms are historical in nature, sizes differ. We are unable to provide specific measurements for your room. General room dimensions are:
- Single room: approximately 11’x11’
- Double room: approximately 10’x14’
- Triple room: approximately 13’x19’
Packages shipped ahead may be picked up at the package distribution center located on the second floor of Slayter Hall Student Union. When mailing a package, luggage or boxes, the address should read as follows:
(number of box) Slayter Union
Granville, Ohio 43023
Students are responsible for all University-owned furnishings present in their room. All furniture must remain in its assigned room; the University will not store furniture that has been removed from its space and students should not remove furniture from the premises. Furnishings from outside the institution (e.g., queen-size beds, sofas) may not be placed in residence halls.
We encourage students to be prepared and plan to pack light and move in quickly this August.
- Masks, hand sanitizer, thermometer, other PPE items you prefer
- Fan - rooms are not air-conditioned
- Bedding - twin XL size
- Toiletries and something to carry items
- Surge protector and chargers
- Laundry supplies, cleaning supplies
- Refrigerator - four cubic feet or fewer
- Personal medications
- Seasonal clothing for Ohio’s unpredictable weather
- Study aids and supplies
- A lawn/bag chair for outdoor activities
- Personal Facemask
- Hand Sanitizer
- Thermometer (for daily symptom checks) *
- Personal cleaning supplies (disinfectant wipes and sprays, paper towels)
- A second set of sheets/blanket/towels for quarantine/isolation (just in case)
In the event that a student goes to The Wellness Center or other medical facility seeking treatment or testing that could result in an overnight stay, isolation, or quarantine, we recommend that a “Go Bag” is prepared ahead of time. We suggest a small drawstring bag no larger than a backpack. A listing of the suggested contents for Go Bags can be found here.
- Furniture. Rooms are furnished. Please do not bring additional furniture.
- Weapons - knives, guns, decorative or replica weapons, airsoft guns, toy pellet guns, nunchaku, etc.
- Alcohol if under the age of 21
- Drugs that are not prescribed
- Candles, incense, fireworks, blowtorches
- Pets other than fish
- Air conditioners - both free-standing and window mounted
- Advance approval via Health Services is required; approved students are notified via email with specifications
- Halogen lamps
- Cooking appliances - toasters, toaster ovens, microwaves, indoor grills, etc.
- Extension cords
If you need assistance before you arrive, we invite you to call us at the Student Housing Operations and Planning Office, 740-587-6271.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!