Three summer internships especially for BIPOC students
The Knowlton Center is excited to announce three Denison-exclusive opportunities with the YMCA of Central Ohio. These remote positions will provide an opportunity for BIPOC students to get experience and skills working at a high-level for a national nonprofit organization, and will be paid through a stipend from the Denison Internship Program. First-years, sophomores, and juniors are eligible to apply to the three internship positions below:
The People, Culture and Equity Summer Intern will:
- Provide programmatic and logistical support to the YMCA of Central Ohio’s Employee Resource Groups (Anti-Racism Council, African American Resource Network, DIG, Latinx ERG, LGBTQ+RN, Women’s Leadership Network Group);
- Help coordinate, organize, and staff organizational meetings focused on issues diversity, equity, inclusion and anti-racism;
- Provide programmatic and logistical support to the Senior Vice President of Equity and Inclusion and the Interim Executive Director of People and Culture (formally Human Resources Department);
- Collaborate with specific departments or teams within the organization on shared programs and services;
- Participate and take notes in meetings (mostly virtual) involving partners and advocates engaged in equity and inclusion efforts;
- Research, track, and report innovations and best practices in diversity, equity and inclusion, especially those in the nonprofit sector.
The Summer Strategy Intern will:
- Assist Chief Strategy Officer (CSO) in implementing the YMCA of Central Ohio 2022 Strategic Framework through research, design, project management and thought partnership (final to be adopted April 22, 2021);
- Understand YMCA 2022 strategic framework, leadership structure and organizational structure and business model;
- Work with CSO and cross functional team(s) to pilot a project to implement strategic framework in a way that fosters collaboration, transparency and learning;
- Based on research and learning, help design a human-centered design process for operationalizing strategic framework across YMCA;
- Assist CSO in creating a transformation leadership (change management) plan aimed at successful adoption of the strategic framework;
- Assist the senior leadership team in understanding and implementing a model for “horizontal leadership” systems;
- Conduct research, set meetings and help manage the adoption of a shared data platform;
- Conduct non profit research to understand best practices in strategy development and execution;
- Assist CSO with routine functions such as research, project management, scheduling;
- Attend meetings as necessary (mostly virtual).
The Communications Intern will:
- Assist Director of Marketing & Communications through communications - related research initiatives;
- Create written and visual content within corporate branding guidelines
- Write and edit news and features for release to the public;
- Assist with the development and execution of email campaigns, social media editorial calendar and promotional materials for internal and external audiences;
- Create media lists, pitch stories to media and assist local Ys with communications plans;
- Document and archive Y activities;
- Work with other communications outlets such as websites, video, and more;
- Work with team members and cross-functional teams throughout the organization to increase storytelling through special projects and implementation of innovative strategies;
- Assist with special projects;
- Attend team meetings and creative ideation sessions (mostly virtual).
More about Central Ohio YMCA:
The YMCA is one of Central Ohio’s leading nonprofits, empowering youth and families and strengthening communities through Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility. We are a diverse association of men, women and children of all ages and from all walks of life, joined together by a shared commitment to nurture the potential of children and teens, improve our community’s health and well-being, and provide opportunities to give back and support our neighbors. As part of the fabric of Central Ohio for nearly 160 years, the Y has long-standing relationships and physical presence not just to promise, but to deliver lasting personal and social change. Visit the YMCA of Central Ohio for more information.