Doane Dance Building

Doane Dance Building

Established: 
1905
Current Use: 

The building now houses the Dance Department which contains two dance studios, both of which are equipped with a five-layer, spring-loaded floor. The department uses the facilities to teach modern dance, ballet and also contemporary jazz.

History & Architecture

The Doane Dance building is Jeffersonian Federal Revival style built in 1905 and designed by Richards, McCarty & Bulford of Columbus. The firm designed four other structures on campus in the same style. Originally a gymnasium, the building was also home to art studios before being renovated to house the dance department starting in 1975. A large studio/performance space, which seats 100, is equipped with a full set of theatrical lights and a professional sound system. Its sound/light booth includes a sound recording and mixing board, 24 dimmers and a dimmer doubling system. A second smaller studio has video playback capacity. Both studios are equipped with a five-layer, spring-loaded floor and virtually all technique classes are accompanied by live music. The building also houses a costume shop with sewing machines, washer and dryer and supplies, a seminar room, a student computer lab, and a conference room.

Fine Arts Quad
Doane Dance houses two dance studios (one that converts into a fully equipped studio performance space, a costume shop, faculty offices, a conference room and e-classroom, a computer lab station and changing rooms for students.

Enjoy this gallery of familiar and unusual perspectives of a signature building.