Denison Musical Ensembles
In keeping with a liberal arts philosophy, the Music department encourages interested students campus-wide to participate in its varied ensembles.
Individual ensembles are designed to meet the students' musical needs while providing a positive educational experience.
- Clarinet Ensemble – Dr. Jackie Bretz, director. Time Arranged.
- Denison Chamber Singers – The university's mixed choral ensemble which performs music from all historical and stylistic periods from Renaissance to Modern, vocal jazz, folksongs and spirituals. The choir meets Tuesday/Thursday from 4:30 - 6:00pm. The audition consists of vocalizing, rehearsing a choral anthem, and a pitch retention assessment. A prepared solo is required. Contact Dr. Wei Cheng to set up an audition.
- Concert Choir – is a long-established community/university choir which includes singers from the Granville area, as well as Denison faculty, staff and students who are interested in performing major choral works and other works of interest. The choir meets on Monday evenings from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Audition required. Contact Dr. Wei Cheng to set up an audition.
- Singer's Theater Workshop – A class for students who sing and enjoy performing on stage. Once a semester the students in the class will present a production with costumes and scenery. Class literature ranges from Broadway musicals to light opera. All students are welcome, but solos are chosen by audition. Dr. Belinda Andrews-Smith, director. Time: Mondays and Wednesdays 4:30 to 6:00 pm - Burke Recital Hall.
- Denison University Wind Ensemble – The Denison University Wind Ensemble, under the direction of Dr. Mark A. Wade, is the university’s top ensemble for wind, brass and percussionists. This large ensemble of approximately 55 musicians explores both cutting-edge contemporary literature and traditional staples of the wind band medium. This elite ensemble presents one concert each semester. Rehearsals are conducted on Tuesday afternoons from 4:30 to 6:00 in Burke Hall, with sectional rehearsals scheduled on Fridays from 3:30 to 5:00 as needed — typically every other week. This allows students to participate in both orchestra and Wind Ensemble. Membership in the Denison University Wind Ensemble is open to all university students (and faculty) with auditions held the first Thursday of each semester. For current audition information, please email Dr. Wade.
- Orchestra – Gathering on average 60 members, the Denison University Orchestra welcomes players with diverse musical interests and from an array of majors. In addition to canonical repertoire, the ensemble explores a wide range of works and styles, from 17th-century compositions to contemporary premiers. It provides members with an opportunity to refine their technique, expand their musicianship, and most importantly, develop into true ensemble players who listen to, respond to, and lead their fellow musicians. In addition to routine work with peers and the director, interactions with guest artists and members of the faculty, further enrich the students' musical experience and promote the music department’s commitment to musical diversity and collaborative work. Andy Strietelmeier, director.
- Jazz Ensemble – A large jazz ensemble that performs music ranging from the traditional big band era to contemporary jazz. Pete Mills, director. By audition. Time: Mondays and Wednesdays 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm - Burke Rehearsal Room
- Jazz Combo – A small ensemble open to any instrumentalist or vocalist. Traditional jazz will be the focus along with the music of Brazil, Funk, and Contemporary Jazz/Pop. Tom Carroll, director. Time: Tuesdays 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm.
- Bluegrass Ensemble – Dedicated to the traditional instruction (by “ear”) of Old-Time and Bluegrass music. The ensemble meets for two hours per week on Fridays from 2:30 pm to 4:30 p.m. All banjo, fiddle, mandolin, bass, and guitar “pickers” are welcome. Contact Dr. Andrew Carlson for more information. Andy Carlson and Casey Cook, directors.
- Gospel Choir – This soulful and energetic ensemble features musical compositions and arrangements of gospel music. Driven by powerful voices, this group enthusiastically bring this genre to life - complete with hand clapping, rocking and swaying! Tim Carpenter, director. Time: Wednesdays 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm - Swasey Chapel.
- Brass Ensemble – Jed Hudson, director. Time: Arranged.
- Composition Seminar – Dr. Ching-chu Hu, director. Time: Arranged.
- Flute Ensemble – Dr. Leslie Maaser, director. Time: Arranged.
- Guitar Ensemble – Tom Carroll, director. Mondays 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm
- Latin Jazz Percussion Ensemble – Seth Rogers, director. Time: Arranged.
- Oboe Ensemble – Steve Rosenberg, director. Time: Arranged.
- Piano Chamber Music – Dr. Nelson Harper, director. Time: Arranged.
- Saxophone Ensemble – Pete Mills, director. Time: Arranged.
- String Chamber Music – Dr. Cora Kuyvenhoven, director. Time: Arranged.
- Trumpet Ensemble – Directed and founded by Dr. Mark A. Wade, The Denison University Trumpet Ensemble consists of approximately twelve trumpeters. Membership is open to all university students and faculty with no audition required. This dynamic ensemble performs approximately twice a semester and rehearses once a week (TBA). Their vast repertoire includes everything from Renaissance trumpet motets to antiphonal Gabrielli pieces to big band style Jazz to 21st Century fanfares! Time: Arranged.