Up until 2013, Sawyer was Denison’s last all-male traditional residence hall. Ironically, it is located on what was known as the Women’s Quad until the mid-1960s, when the men moved in.
Named for Charles Sawyer, founder of the Granville Female Seminary of 1832, which would become part of Shepardson College and later Denison. Sawyer also served as trustee to the Granville Literary and Theological Institution (later Denison) from 1831 to 1837. The design of the building is of an Academic Georgian style and was built by Arnold Brunner. Crawford was originally the second of two uphill dorms for women, but today it houses 91 male upper class students in double units and suites.