Reporting a Concern for a Student
To report a concern for a student, click on Advocate CareNetwork Report and complete the information requested. If you have any questions after completing the report form, feel free to contact the Dean of Students or the Vice President for Student Development at 740-587-6208.
In the case of urgent or life-threatening concerns, please call the university dispatcher at 740-587-0810 for immediate assistance.
Faculty and staff use the Advocate CareNetwork to report many types concerns. The following examples are categorized by type:
- Academic: student has excessive absences, missed multiple assignments and is not responsive to instructor outreach, etc.
- Campus/Social: student has expressed severe homesickness, reported serious roommate issues, etc.
- Medical: student has lost a dramatic amount of weight, has left campus for surgery or treatment, reported a medical condition of concern, etc.
- Mental health: a student has become withdrawn, has begun to exhibit behavior you find strange, has reported acute anxiety, submits an assignment with troubling content, etc.
- Personal: student has lost a close friend or family member, reports that a parent has recently become homeless, or reports other information.
Denison University faculty and staff are invited to report concerns about students by using an online reporting form. The Advocate CareNetwork Report Form is available at: https://denison-advocate.symplicity.com/public_report/ The form provides fields in which you identify yourself and give your contact information. In subsequent fields, you identify the student(s) of concern, describe the nature of your concern, and identify others who may be affected or involved. Finally, the form asks whether we may share your name with the student or with staff members, or whether your report is to remain confidential.
Reports of concerns are reviewed by the Dean of Students, who confers with appropriate staff and assigns the Report to a staff member for follow-up, as needed. In order to insure that the concern is shared with staff from appropriate offices (e.g. Health, Counseling, Academic Support & Enrichment, Housing, etc.) the Dean will benefit from the most complete description you can provide: examples of observed behaviors or details of concerning interactions, others who may have witnessed or been affected by the situation, texts of worrisome emails, etc. It is also helpful to know of any steps you have already taken to address your concerns, such as conversations you have had with the student, the student’s advisor or mentor, or another staff member to express your concern.
Once a Report is submitted, the Dean of Students receives a notification. The Dean will review the report to determine the appropriate timeline for response. Our rubric calls for a response to critical concerns within 24 hours, moderate concerns within 48-72 hours, and low-levels concerns within one week. In most instances, the Report will be assigned within a day to a staff member for action. The staff members who support Denison’s Advocate CareNetwork meet Tuesday mornings to review current Reports and share updates or continuing concerns. Once reports have been resolved, they are archived but maintained so that, in the event a new concern should emerge, the record of prior concerns and responses can be reviewed.