Denison Awards Green Grants
Date of Event: March 12, 2010
Posted: March 12, 2010
Denison University’s John R. Hunting ’54 Environmental Sustainability Venture Fund has awarded grants for “green” projects on campus. Students, faculty and staff were invited to submit proposals for small-scale projects that would enhance environmental sustainability at Denison, and this week the 2010 winners were announced:
• Campus Garden – to create a pilot campus program to advance awareness and knowledge of food production.
• BikeShare – to reduce car traffic and provide a more efficient and sustainable mode of transportation.
• Laundry Exchange – to loan clothes-drying racks to students to reduce use of electric dryers.
• Re-usable Water Bottles – to reduce use of disposable water bottles.
• Shoe Recycling – to promote waste minimization and collect and distribute shoes (through Soles4Souls) to people in need worldwide.
• Apartment Compost – to cut organic waste in student apartments and create usable compost materials.
• Weatherization – to decrease energy consumption and train students in weatherization techniques for use on campus and in the community.
• Bandersnatch – to purchase reusable dishware for a popular student social space.
Denison’s Hunting Venture Fund aspires to make the best use of resources, seek sustainable options, dispose of waste in ways that reduce negative impact and take into consideration the life cycle and environmental impact of materials and products purchased by the college. For more information, contact Susan Studer King at 740-587-6763 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Denison University, founded in 1831, is an independent, residential liberal arts institution located in Granville, Ohio. A highly selective college enrolling 2,100 full-time undergraduate students from all 50 states and dozens of foreign countries, Denison is a place where innovative faculty and motivated students collaborate in rigorous scholarship, civic engagement and the cultivation of independent thinking.
For press inquiries:
- Barbara Stambaugh
- Position Title
- Director, Media Relations
- Primary Email
- Business Phone
- (740) 587-8575