Subject Guide: Medicine
The Library's Subject Guides help you find resources that are specialized for certain areas of study. There are many other resources available which provide generalized information--not specific to one topic or area. To see more of these general resources, see the Subject Guide: General page.Science Liaison - Moriana Garcia
Databases provide information about journal, magazine and newspaper articles.
- CINAHL (Nursing & Allied Health)
- Health Source
- Medline with full text (1966-present)
- PubMed (the NLM interface to Medline, includes sequence data)
- PsycINFO (1967-present) or PsycINFO Historical (1887-1966)
- Web of Knowledge Science, Social Sciences and Humanities Citation Indexes
Reference books provide background information on a people, terms and concepts.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Information Source Book R733 .C66 2001
- Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine R733 .G34 2001
- Medical Library Association Consumer Health Reference Service Handbook RA776 .B234 200
- New A to Z of Women's Health: A Concise Encyclopedia RA778 .A494 2000
- Physicians' Desk Reference: PDR RS75 .P5
- Oxford Reference Books Online: Medicine Collection Five online reference books relevant to human medicine. Search all at once or select one book to search. You may also want to check out the Biological Sciences Collection.
Here are a few web sites you might find useful:
- AEGIS: the AIDS Education Global Information System
- AMA - The American Medical Association
- Centers for Disease Control - particularly useful is the health topics A-Z list.
- DOEgenomes.org provides information about the Human Genome Project and other genomics projects sponsored by DOE
- InnerBody.com an anatomy website.
- Medline Plus Drug Information
- National Library of Medicine's LOCATORplus
- PubMed - a database run by the National Library of Medicine
- Scirus (a search engine for scientific information).
- Mednar (a Web search engine for medical information).
- West Nile Virus information from the Centers of Disease Control
- Merck Publications:
Here are a few of the journals available via the web in this field:
- Science 1997-present (access through the publisher Web site)
- Science 1880-2004 (access through JSTOR)
- Journal of Biological Chemistry all articles prior to 2003 are open access
- Public Library of Science - Biology new, open-access, biology journal
- PubMed Central digital archive of many life science journals. See the full list for years covered and restrictions.
- To determine whether we have a journal available online, please search the CONSORT catalog or use the Electronic Journal Finder.