Subject Guide: German
The Library's Subject Guides help you find resources that are specialized for certain areas of study. There are many other resources available which provide generalized information--not specific to one topic or area. To see more of these general resources, see the Subject Guide: General page.
German Department HomepageLiaison - Joshua Finnell
Databases provide information about journal, magazine and newspaper articles.
- Browse German Databases
Reference materials provide background information on a people, terms and concepts.
- Bibliographie der Deutschen Literaturwissenschaft, 1945-1969 Z2231 .B5 (Annex Floor 1A)
- Bibliographie der Französischen Literaturwissenschaft,1956- Z 2171 .B56 (Annex Floor 1A)
- Humanities Index, 1974-1996 AI 3 .H8 (Annex Floor 1A)
- MLA Bibliography, 1921-1993 Z 7006 .M64 (Annex Floor 1A)
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary German Culture DD290.26 E53 1999
- Encyclopedia of German Literature v.1-2 PT41 E63 2000
- Oxford Companion to German Literature PT41 G3 1997
- Cambridge Klett Comprehensive German Dictionary PF3640 .C36 2002
- The Oxford-Duden German Dictionary
- Oxford German Dictionary and Grammar PF3640 O95 2001
Oxford Reference Books Online: Bilingual Dictionaries
The online version; search many dictionaries at once, or choose one to search.
Here are a few web sites we think you might find useful:
- Yahoo Babelfish Translation
- Ethnologue.com - Languages of the World
- Librarians' Index to the Internet: German Page.
All kinds of resources related to Germany and the German language, including online dictionaries, cultural sites, and more; all selected for quality by librarians.
- German Language News & Magazines: an exhaustive list of publications on the Web. Assembled by MIT.