Subject Guide: French
The Library's Subject Guides help you find resources that are specialized for certain areas of study. There are many other resources available which provide generalized information--not specific to one topic or area. To see more of these general resources, see the Subject Guide: General page.
Humanities Liaison Librarian - Joshua Finnell
French Department Homepage
Databases provide information about journal, magazine and newspaper articles.
- ARTFL (Project for American and French Research on the Treasury of the French Language)
- Foreign Language Video Database
A growing collection of foreign language video clips in which native speakers elaborate on a wide variety of topics about their culture, family, daily life, and more. Each video is accompanied by a description of its contents, the country of the speaker, and additional grammar and vocabulary notes. QuickTime format.
- Humanities International Complete
- Humanities Index, 1974-1996 AI 3 .H8 (Annex Floor 1A)
- MLA International Bibliography
- MLA Bibliography, 1921-1993 Z 7006 .M64 (Annex Floor 1A)
Reference books provide background information on a people, terms and concepts.
- Encyclopedia of Modern French Thought DC33.7 .E55 2004
- Dictionary of Twentieth Century Culture: French Culture 1900-1975 DC33.7 F726 1995
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary French Culture DC33.7 E53 1998
- Guide to French Literature v1-2 PQ41 L48 1992
- Oxford French Dictionary and Grammar PC2640 O84 2001
- The Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary PC2640 O94 1994
Oxford Reference Books Online: Bilingual Dictionaries
The online version; search many dictionaries at once, or choose one to search.
Here are a few web sites we think you might find useful:
- AltaVista Babelfish Translation
- Ethnologue.com - Languages of the World
- Librarians' Index to the Internet: French Page.
All kinds of resources related to France and the French language, including online dictionaries, cultural sites, and more; all selected for quality by librarians.
- French Language News & Magazines: an exhaustive list of publications on the Web. Assembled by MIT.