Subject Guide: Asian Studies
Humanities Liaison Librarian - Joshua Finnell
The Library's Subject Guides help you find resources that are specialized for certain areas of study. There are many other resources available which provide generalized information--not specific to one topic or area. To see more of these general resources, see the Subject Guide: General page.
Reference books provide background information on a people, terms and concepts.
- Encyclopedia of Modern Asia DS4 .L48 2002
- East Asia and the United States : An Encyclopedia of Relations Since 1784 DS518.8 .E53 2002
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Chinese Culture DS779.23 .E53 2005
- Ethnic Groups and Cultural Geography: e-reference books
- The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music ML100 .G16 1998
- The Columbia Companion to Modern East Asian Literature PL493 .C55 2003
- Asian American Writers PS153.A84 A845 2005
- South Asian folklore : An Encyclopedia : Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka GR302 .S68 2003
- The Anime Encyclopedia NC1766 .J3 C53 2001
- Columbia Chronologies of Asian History and Culture DS33 .C63 2000
- Encyclopedia of Ancient Asian Civilizations DS12 .H5 2004
- Encyclopedia of Asian Philosophy B121 .E53 2001
- A Dictionary of Asian Mythology BL1005 .L46 2001
- Encyclopedia of Buddhism BQ128 .E62 2004
- The Blackwell Companion to Hinduism BL1202 .B72 2003
- A Dictionary of Buddhism BQ130 .K46 2003
Databases provide information about journal, magazine and newspaper articles.
- Bibliography of Asian Studies The BEST place to find articles on all topics relating to Asia. Online, 1973-present [Print, 1969-present DS501 .F274]
- China Online Journals The database features core journals in the fields and a unique broad collection of Chinese university journals, which are a main research source in humanities and social sciences in China (1997-present).
- Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS) Daily Reports fully searchable reports on foreign views and perspectives on historical events from thousands of monitored broadcasts and publications. Translated into English from more than 50 languages - from Arabic to Swahili - these comprehensive media reports from around the globe include news, interviews, speeches and editorial commentary (1974-1996)
- General Science Index
Has articles on the development of science in Asia as well as current scientific discoveries
- PAIS International
Covers the literature of public affairs and political science.
- Art Full Text 1929-Present
Abstract & citation only; contains information for many Asian art journals.
- Contemporary Women's Issues
Provides full-text access to global information on women; brings together sociology, psychology, health, education, business administration and political science.
- Foreign Language Digital Videos
A collection of foreign language video clips in which native speakers elaborate on a wide variety of topics about their culture, family, daily life, and more. Each video clip is accompanied by a description of its contents, the country of the speaker, and additional grammar and vocabulary notes.
- MLA International Bibliography
Provides indexing for books and articles published on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics
- Historical Abstracts
Indexes key historical journals from virtually every major country and journals of regional history.
Religion & Philosophy
- ATLA Religion Index
the premier index to journal articles, book reviews, and collections of essays in all fields of religion. This comprehensive bibliographic database spans over 50 years. The database covers the subdisciplines in the fields of theology and religion, plus religious research in related fields such as sociology, anthropology, psychology, history, medicine, law, and business.
- Philosopher's Index
Provides indexing and abstracts from books and journals of philosophy and related fields.
- Religion and Philosophy Collection
A comprehensive database covering world religions, major denominations, religious history, epistemology, political philosophy, philosophy of language, moral philosophy and the history of philosophy.
Here are a few web sites we think you might find useful:
- Internet Sources for Generating a Bibliography in East Asian Studies:
A nice list of links from the East Asian Studies program here at Denison
- Asiaco, The Asia Search Engine
A good starting point for information on a particular country
- Asia Source
Site with current events and news
- Asia Resources on the Word Wide Web
web resources on: China, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Tibet, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Burma, Cambodia, Phillippines, Malaysia, Laos, Singapore, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal.
- National Bureau of Asian Research
NBR conducts advanced independent research on strategic, political, economic, globalization, health, and energy issues affecting U.S. relations with Asia. Drawing upon an extensive network of the world’s leading specialists and leveraging the latest technology, NBR bridges the academic, business, and policy arenas.
- China Data Center
Site from the University of Michigan
- Portal to Asian Internet Resources (PAIR)
Site from the University of Wisconsin
- Chinese Language News & Magazines
Japanese Language News & Magazines
Exhaustive lists of publications in each language on the Web, including links to download Asian fonts. Assembled by MIT.