Upper Elm, Lower Elm, Hayes & Wright Halls
The apartment style buildings are used to house coed upperclassmen.
Dubbed early on as “the brownstones” for their distinctive architectural style, these residence halls feature four single bedrooms per apartment, each with a common area for shared dining and relaxing, a kitchen area with stove, oven, and refrigerator. Altogether, the brownstones house 112 men and women. They were commissioned by the Board of Trustees in 2003 and first occupied by the Class of 2006 during their senior year.
Initially, the four new residence halls were called Upper and Lower Elm and Upper and Lower Maple, with the notion that those names could change at the behest of significant donor support. Thanks to an anonymous gift in the Spring of 2006, Upper and Lower Maple were renamed Hayes and Wright Halls, respectively. Hayes gets its name from Woody Hayes ’35, who as a student lived just across the hill in the Sigma Chi house and later coached Big Red football from 1946 to 1948 before earning his fame and three national championships as coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes. Wright Hall commemorates beloved theatre professor Ed Wright, pioneer of Denison Summer Theatre, which was a popular tradition in the mid-20th century.