Sawyer Hall
122
check-ins
Foursquare Mayor
Sauvik 
Foursquare Mayor

Sawyer Hall

Established: 
1925
Current Use: 

Up until 2013, Sawyer was Denison’s last all-male traditional residence hall. Ironically, it is located on what was known as the Women’s Quad until the mid-1960s, when the men moved in.

History & Architecture

Named for Charles Sawyer, founder of the Granville Female Seminary of 1832, which would become part of Shepardson College and later Denison. Sawyer also served as trustee to the Granville Literary and Theological Institution (later Denison) from 1831 to 1837. The design of the building is of an Academic Georgian style and was built by Arnold Brunner. Crawford was originally the second of two uphill dorms for women, but today it houses 91 male upper class students in double units and suites.

East Residential Quad
4bfc27ddb5cd2d7fc22831fb
Sawyer is Denison’s only all-male traditional residence hall located, somewhat ironically, on what was known as the Women’s Quad until the mid-1960s. Once the men moved in and coed housing was introduced, it became known as East Quad.
Designer/Architect: 
Arnold Brunner
Building Style: 
Academic Georgian style